Waiting tables

Seoul Travel Blog

I never would have thought that my first waitressing job would be at a hotel in South Korea. But alas, I’ve spent the last two mornings serving coffee or tea, clearing plates and resetting tables. I’m not a very good waitress, especially since I didn’t get much training. Kelly told me what to do for 3 hours yesterday and then I was on my own. I dropped some silverware but made it through my shift without breaking or spilling anything. Only 8 more mornings of this! Poor Kelly did this job for 5 weeks, but I guess my job at concierge wasn’t any better.

Kelly and I had a great afternoon in the sales department. We met with one of the sales manager and he talked to us about his job, the hotel and his role. He took us out to coffee at Starbucks and discussed his dissatisfaction with the hotel and about his past experience in the industry. He also rethinks his decision to join the industry, as I am doing now. It was nice to talk honestly with another employee that understands our situation and has similar views.

He also took us to a sales call with one of his repeat clients. The client was from Germany and said he only had 10 minutes to meet with us. One hour 10 minutes later, we left after learning about his relationship with the hotel and his views of how Asian cultures vary from Western culture, how he thinks Western ideals are going down the drain and other opinions about living life to the fullest and respecting your elders.
photo by: chiyeh