Ladies Night & Salsa Dance Class

Seoul Travel Blog

I skipped a day… Yesterday, after an uneventful day at work, I napped while Kelly watched the Italian Job on TV. After dinner we headed out to ladies night in Itaewon. We got dressed and went to the elevators… BUSTED! Our bosses were in the elevator! We knew we were going to be asked how we were feeling in the morning. Anyway, we started at Helios, the bar we went to earlier in the week. It was pretty slow and there were only 8 drink options that were free, all bad. After that we strolled down the main thoroughfare and stumbled across McDonalds. The chicken nuggets and french fries were calling our names! It started to rain (and we were without our umbrellas) so we headed back in the direction of the metro.
Along the way we ducked into Seoul Bar. It was another Western type of bar with billiards and darts. Kelly challenged me to a game of darts and I realized how bad I was. After our first game, two guys from the US joined in. Mike is here teaching English to kindergarteners (and a Lambda Chi) and Bo is in the military. They told us a lot about living in Seoul, the foods we should try and where the English bookstores were. All in all a good night.

Tonight after work, we watched the Bounty Hunter with Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler, which we bought off the street yesterday for 2,000 won. It was pretty good but I only saw the beginning and the end and slept through the middle. After that we hoped on the metro to Itaewon for Salsa lessons at Americano Latina.
We got there early and a creepy guy kept hitting on us and was being really pushy; he even said that he followed us in. We told him that we were meeting friends at the bar. As soon as a group arrived at the bar, Kelly ran up to a random girl and gave her a hug and started talking to her. I think the creepy guy got the hint. The class was okay. They divided the guys and girls up and taught us separately. We learned the basic step, side step and right turn. It was a little too repetitive. I think most of the class got it pretty quickly but we still worked on the basic step for about a half hour. After we learned all the steps we paired off. I paired off with Carlos and Kelly paired up with Ahn. My guy seemed really nervous, sweaty palms and everything. He wasn’t a bad dancer but he wasn’t confident and wasn’t willing to laugh at himself. After class we sat at the bar and had drinks with Kelly’s dance partner. Nice guy but a little off his rocker. After we left the bar, we apparently made a wrong turn and ended up on a shady street with “ladies of the night” hanging around outside of dimly lit bars. We promptly retreated and caught the last metro of the night back to the hotel.
photo by: chiyeh