Golden Circle tour in a blizzard

Nesjavellir Travel Blog

Anyone seen the labyrinth film?

This tour came as part of the holiday package, which was a bonus as a bit of pre trip reading suggested that it's the best way to see Reykjavik's surrounding areas.

We rose nice and early to squeeze in a breakfast before we had to board the bus for the Circle tour, walking past the hotel doors we could see that it was still blowing a blizzard and there was a good covering of snow. The drifts were up to six feet in places. I was convince the tour would by cancelled but unlike Britain, where the whole country comes to a standstill under an inch of snow, the bus turned up on time and on we got. I was truly amazed at how normal day life was carrying on, this was the most snow I had ever seen but the bus just ploughed on through the ploughed and well gritted roads, well done Iceland!

First stop was the Nesjaveller geothermal plant, not really my cup of tea but we sat through a fairly interesting documentary on how all of Iceland’s hot water and heating is created using the geothermal heat below the country, very clever but not very exciting! We then got to look round the little museum there, again clever but not exciting except the earthquake simulator, which kept me and a number of small children entertained :)

I learnt my lesson here on how even a 2 second dash from the bus to indoors required wearing all the clothes brought with us, hat, gloves, scarf and jacket, it was hammering down with snow!

Horses everywhere