my mum´s visit

Glendalough Travel Blog

Hi there!

I need to keep this article short, unfortunately.
There´s so much to tell about my last trip to the west of the island last weekend and I´m burning to do so.
So, here´s a short summary about the visit of my mum and her partner Michael two weeks ago.

10/08/2007

I took of to pick them up from the airport.

Then we had a first stroll through Temple Bar and headed for the 5-Star hotel in blackrock.

After a short rest we went back to the city center and I could show them a nice show in Arlington Hotel. They have a free dancing and music show every night.

11/08/2007

We met for Chinese food in Parnell Street and then I showed them where I live and we had a nice walk in the wind over to Bull Island.

In the evening we went around Temple Bar again and my mum and Michael were pretty shocked about the common half naked Irish women in the rainy streets. I was amused to see them gaping at them with open mouths.
We wanted to go to O´Sullivans but it was too full. So, we stood in front of it and Brian was so friendly to play my request for my mum: "Leaving On A Jetplane" ... (...don´t know when I´ll be back again...).

12/08/2007

Today mum and Michael did some things in the city on their own and I met Franzi for some sushi. Then I met my people together with my housemate Luan in O´Sullivans.
It was the perfect O´Sullivans night with a crowd of the right size and Brian and the bar staff in good mood.
We went home early though, cos we had booked a Wicklow tour for the next day and had to get up early.

13/08/2007

We took the Wild Wicklow Tour into the mountains at 10am.

I had been in Glendalough before, but I thought, this was a nice option for me to see a little more of the mountains. And for mum and Michael it was the first impression of the Irish country side anyway.
We did some stops here and there to take photos and to by souvenirs.

(Dun Laoghaire - pronounced like "dun leery")

(Bono Vox´s front gate)

(the river Liffey as a baby)

(Sally Gap - the Guinness lake...it´s called like that, because the river carries a lot of turf and dyes the lake dark brown...)

(me at the "Guinness Lake")

(my mum and Michael at the "Guinness Lake")

(having these views each day - it must be a truly beautiful job to be a tour guide here)

(the brown dye of the water)

(and there we are again - the ancient monastery of Glendalough, "the valley of the two lakes")

(here´s one of the lakes - the upper one to be precise)

(enjoying the view)

(and already on the journey back)

It´s quite a shock when you get back to the city of Dublin after this remoteness of the mountains.
And once again I felt like I really should go somewhere else to live.

14/08/2007

And today my folks left back to Germany again.
It wa snice to finally let my mum see how I live abroad. I left Germany 2 years ago, first to England, then to Ireland and this was the first time she paid me a visit.

I´m still waiting for some photos Michael took. I will post them as soon as I got them!
Glendalough