Calaguas

Calaguas Island (Mahabang Buhangin) Travel Blog

There are tours that offer convenience on the net for this destination, but heck wheres the fun and hassle in that??

We drove to Paracale town in Camarines norte, went to the port, and waited for a boat to hitch unto, paid 500php for a two way ride. turns out theres a boat in the afternoon (2pm) that takes people to the barangay in calaguas its an hour's walk to mahabang buhangin, damn it shouldve taken that one its cheaper and you get to see the real people on the island.

The island itself was stunning, its powdery sand is at par with boracay, thing is.. theres just not much trees to lay shade on my beautiful forehead.

there are no resorts on mahabang buhangin, so you ought to bring your tent and sleeping bags, but there is a house with a generator, theres also a deep well pump that you can use for 10php.

I was suprised though when we were about to leave and we were being charged by the "lot owner" for "rent/cleaning fee" #1. we brought trashbags, we didnt leave any trash #2 I have no idea you can own a beach, im pretty sure its public land #3 fuck i was just pissed.

all in all, calaguas was nice, but the transportation to the island for inexperienced traveler would be too much, some boats would offer their services for 4-7k for a back and forth rent of their lifevest less chair less fish smelling outrigger. so far the ones in calaguas are the most expensive outrigger ride I have ever encountered. And you really need a tent in the island, as I said the shades are just not enough. Dont bother with the snorkles as well, theres not much marine life to see.

Would I go back again? probably... not.. or maybe just one more time, to bring some friends who are dying to see the place.

Calaguas Island (Mahabang Buhangin)
photo by: azucenas_bauan