Marblehead, "the Birthplace of the American Navy"

Marblehead Travel Blog

Abbot Hall

I took the day and rental car to explore a few local spots Northeast of the Boston Area. I stumbled upon a city worth only 1/2 a page in my Boston Frommer's Guide called Marblehead. After my visit, it was very clear that this fine city should have merited more than a few sentences and reviews. This place has history, beautiful-pristine homes, was unique, refreshing and had a spectacular selection of sailing yachts in the nearby harbor.

I parked in Washington Square and let my feet do the rest. I went into the historic Abbot Hall and saw the painting "The Spirit of ’76 Lives Here"  a depiction of the Revolutionary War. I learned that Marblehead deems itself the birthplace of the American Navy, wherein General Washington populated the first Navy Vessel to go into combat with Marblehead seamen, the Hannah which set sail in 1775.

Abbot Hall

The homes were out of a magazine, pristinely landscaped, each with it's own unique character and touch. I loved the signs on each home noting the year the home was built, by whom, for whom and occupations held by each.

I walked up to Crocker Park, this small park with swinging benches on the top of a hill almost lost in the neighborhood. There was a gorgeous view of the water-with yachts and boats, an American flag was flying high in the air and all I could feel was peace and harmony when I arrived to this spot. Sigh.

I finished my afternoon with an icecream cone, yes, it's the simple things folks.

If you're ever in the Boston area and would like a pleasant day trip-consider Marblehead!

The Spirit of ’76