Hours before we leave.

Bayfield Travel Blog

"One Road to Freedom" by Ben Harper hums from my computer, the crisp Colorado air eases through the screen door next to the dining room table where I've stationed myself. There are patches of blue sky and on top painted wispy white clouds moving over the mountains on the other side of Lake Valecito. I take a deep breath, I am not ready to go home yet. I know warm air and blooming trees await me in New Orleans, despite that Spring picture...leaving the mountains always makes me ache a little.

Skiing, snowboarding, visiting Mesa Verde, photographing the beauty around me...sharing it all with good friends...I am blessed. I've left a big "Thank You" spelled out with a mixture of pens, pencils, and highlighters on the kitchen counter for my friends to see when they return today from the mountain. Jodi and I found another way to the airport so B, Rosie, and Jason could go to the mountain worry free and enjoy what will most likely be the last great snow of the season. I am glad they get to go out there, despite my mild jealousy over the matter! :)

Yesterday at Wolf Creek was awesome. The place was virtually empty, there were no lines at the lifts, the snow fell heavily most of the day, the wind howled, we laughed, we tumbled, we rode the ground clouds...it was...well, epic. I never thought I'd take to snowboarding so fast...I've been told all week, "wait for the powder...". They were right. Keller Williams knows..."Floatin' on the Freshies"...listen to it.

Just a few more things left to pack, put away, clean up...a trip to the rental shop to return our gear and apologize for keeping it a day longer, we just couldn't resist. A drive to the airport, a ride on two planes, and then a ride home from a good friend. Good friend...it keeps coming up again. Travel is so much more rewarding when shared with one, or several, of those.

Cheers...