Mountains, Food, and Friends...

Durango Travel Blog

County Road 502 #1
The mountains have always inspired in me a sense of peace, adventure, and revitalization. The air is crisp, cool...delightful. There is still snow on the ground in late March and many people excitedly flock to local ski areas. The house were staying in is 35 miles north of Durango and about a 2 hour drive away from Wolf Creek. From the open concept living room, dining room, and kitchen I have a wide, beautiful view of lake valecito and a backdrop of mountains behind it. Mornings and evenings boast equally stunning displays of light and movement. Every day has held a blue sky above except one...this other day was full of energy as snow fell and placed a thin layer of the fresh goodies around the house and 9" at Wolf Creek.
County Road 502 #2
We've gone to the mountain twice...St. Patrick's Day was overly crowded but yesterday was perfect. One of the locals told me St. Patty's day was the largest crowd he'd ever seen, I believe him...he had one of those faces and a nice red jacket to match. He used to live in Placerville which is very close to South Lake Tahoe. His skiing experience has taken him all over the world and he supports the "most snow in Colorado" catch phrase that Wolf Creek stakes their claim on. Today we spent some time in Durango walking Main Ave. We stopped for lunch at a great French Bakery. The atmosphere was excellent for an easy Saturday afternoon. After lunch we walked the street and stopped in various shops. It's easy to find outdoor gear around here and there were many shops with funky jewelry, unique furniture, and other things.
County Road 502 #3
One belt and two pair of socks later we stopped at a local coffee shop that is also an internet cafe. I haven't seen one of those in a while. The bathroom had fun phrases painted on the wall...catchy and easy to remember: "laughter is the shortest distance between two people.", "women are like tea; they don't know how strong they are until they're in hot water.", and the like. I took my time washing my hands...I confess...I even took a few pictures. Up and down Main Ave there were storefront vacancies. I fantasized, about life in a small town with one of those storefronts. Photography studio, art work space, pole studio, a place to create, participate, enjoy, and perhaps make a living. I drifted further when I saw a father walking his young son across the street.
County Road 502 #4
I heard them first as the kid was wearing squeaky tennis shoes..."you won't lose this one" I thought. It was downright adorable, clever, and possibly annoying if on a long hike. Even on a Saturday the town was calm, the streets not overrun with traffic, and the restaurants comfortably half full. I like it here. It reminds me of a simplicity that seams to drown in a big and fast city like New Orleans. I love the mountains and the way they make my mind wander. I love the peace and the kindness in small towns (but not too small or too far). Maybe one day I'll live in a place like this or rent for a few months a year. Oh, and I finished a book. It takes me forever to do that at home. Life is too quick, there is too much to do, and any extra time is spent playing outdoors or totally spacing out. Cheers to mountains, food, and friends.
judthb23 says:
I wouls like to know why I am never mentioned in this blog.
Posted on: Apr 14, 2010
Africancrab says:
Great writing, I enjoyed readin gyour blog and seeing your nice photographs
Posted on: Mar 25, 2010
Tight Rope Walker.
Tight Rope Walker.
Durango Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The French French Bakery
It's been an idyllic Saturday afternoon. The sun rose to expose a crisp blue sky contrasting a thin fresh blanket of snow over the mountain side. We d… read entire review
Durango