Serbian musuems.....their best kept secrets.....literally!

Belgrade Travel Blog

This was my last day. The sky was overcast and much, much cooler….almost winter like. It looked to be threatening rain.

My plans visit the National Museum of Serbia and the Josip Tito Memorial Complex. The Museum of Jugoslav History was closed at the time.

I headed first to the National Museum which is next to the Serbian Parliament. Well…….not surprising on this journey, it was closed. I’m not sure if it is open at all. It was closed the last time I was here…..aarrggh!

I stopped at the park across from the Serbian Parliament and took some pics. The flag poles were flying a flag of Serbia and either a flag of Russia or just a red, white and blue striped banner.

bombing damage from Nato attacks on Serbian Ministry of Defense in 1999 during the
It was very dramatic.

I continued on and turned next to the parliament building. It turned out to be the wrong direction which I walked for almost an hour of mis-turns!!! I It was not without its treasure discovery. I stopped to window shop and ended up with some amazing things. This store had handmade Serbian egg holders with the most beautiful of details. I’ve never seen anything like it. Also, for sale, was 6 different packages of egg decorations. These are designs on plastic tube sheets that after cutting and placing on a cooked and cooled egg, you place it back in hot water for just a moment and it forms to the egg. The designs are from these different regions and periods (Central Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Eastern Serbia, Medieval Serbia, and traditional Serbia Moravian School). What a find!!!

So, after asking a nice lady in a pharmacy…where I was and being totally shocked that I was nowhere near where I thought I was, I returned to the parliament.

From there I walked the correct direction. I walked along the embassy row of Belgrade. The American embassy was like a fortress. There were no windows on the front and where there had been windows they were closed up with bricks……not a friendly looking place. It was nice to see it, though.

I walked through some scary, scary areas. There were many large buildings abandoned and crumbling. It was obvious that people were squatting in them. Then I had to make a detour as I had a choice of crossing a highway or backtracking behind a hospital which had some sort of restricted military area attached to it. The hospital had large sections of it that were also in an abandoned and crumbling  condition. It looked like a set for a horror film.

I made way around it to find that the Tito Museum was ……closed.

I had now walked for over three hours and was unable to see the history and culture that I wanted. I was tired and hungry so, I returned to the hostel and hand some late lunch and some tea with Igor.

Just before 15:00, I went over to the Nikola Tesla Museum (300 dinar). It’s just a few blocks from the hostel. The museum is very small but showcases many of his greatest inventions and even his ashes. I did have to leave and go to a grocery store and get change as they didn’t have change for me out of a 1000 dinar note……equivalent to 10 euro or about 14 dollars. I was really surprised but, whatever. I returned and was taken on a demonstration tour of his inventions by a very nice guy who spoke English, well. After, I was shown a film about his life and works. He was a great man but, it’s a bit biased. I guess that happens, right.

From the museum, I walked to the park attached to St.

Marks Church. It’s my favorite, in Belgrade. It was open and I was able to enjoy its beautiful and expansive interior. The interior is so big, It came to me that the interior had no seating. None of the churches in Serbia had seating. This is not the case with all Orthodox churches …..but, I do recall that Russian Orthodox churches do not seating either. Cypriot Orthodox churches do have seating….so, I don’t know why the difference. St. Marks has a fantastic and colorful altar. There are a pair of chairs near the altar that are worth studying the details. Tell more?

The hostel is just down the block from St. Marks so, I was back in just a few minutes. Igor was waiting and we had some tea and chat.

He was finished at 17:00 and we left for an evening out around 18:00.

Ancient Serbian Warrior
We were walked around most of central Belgrade. We tried to stop in a bar in the Bohemian quarter but, the spot that Igor recommended had been set up for dinner and the bar was closed.

So….we continued on and stopped at a fantastic burek spot with Bosnian style burek. They had many filling options; mushroom, potato, leek, spinach, cheese, and meet. I had some spinach and some potato. It was very delicious and not greasy….some burek can be greasy. MMMMMM GOOD!

Soon we needed to part as I needed to pack and get to bed at a reasonable time and Igor needed to get home ……a school night!

After getting back, I packed my bag and pulled out clothes for the next day. I washed my face and brushed my teeth….

St. Marks door knocker
I’m a good boy! Midnight came soon…..I wanted to be asleep earlier but….oh well. Tomorrow, off to Crna Gora (Montenegro).

I enjoyed my time in Serbia, again. It was filled with good times with Igor but, was a disappointment concerning museum closings. Is it all a secret??? Zica was very special even though the journey was rough….worth it! I learned a little bit more about Serbia and its people. It’s more than you would think and worth your time…..and patience.

bombing damage from Nato attacks o…
bombing damage from Nato attacks …
Parliament of Srbija