Moon over KOSMAČ

Budva Travel Blog

Podgorica

I returned to the car and began my long journey back down the mountain and across the valley to meet the highway, again. From there it was, south, all the way back to Podgorica and then, northwest, to the ancient capitol of Cetinje.

I planned to stop in Cetinje but, in passing through, it wasn’t clearly marked as to where the old center was and I was limited with my time. I continued on.

I stopped at a wonderful vantage point of the impressive ruins of KOSMAČ. The fortress of Kosmač is situated on a hilltop adjacent to the village of Brajici, nearBudva, at a height of 800 metres above sea level. It was built between 1841-50 by the Austrians at the border between Montenegro and Austria.ing

As I got out of my car, I noticed that there was a moon, high in the sky.

Kosmac
So, I tried to include it in the pictures that I took as it would add to the drama. It was an amazing sight.

I continued my descent and reached Budva. I drove into the Old Town and mailed the last of my post cards and stopped to fill the car with gas. An attendant pumped the gas (standard in the Balkans). He took my credit card and then returned and had me move my car and go inside to finish the transaction. The cashier, inside, had me enter my pin and I took my receipt…..should not have assumed it was correct. I got back to the apartment and realized that they had increased the total by 10 euro. I returned but they were unable/unwilling to assist me or didn’t understand. CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS!

At the apartment, I packed my suitcase and sorted out the breakables that were to be hand carried. I reviewed my journey’s pictures and thought about my time in Crna Gora.

It had been a mixed bag. I see so much potential for this natural beauty. There is much to wonder at…….

if it were treated better. The second half of the twentieth century was not kind to this country and it is filled with scars and even open wounds.

I did find my moments, alone at a monastery near Sveti Stefan, views of the Budva Riviera from high above, Ostrog Monastery, and Lake Skadar. All of these places provided me with what I expected from this country. It just didn’t exceed my expectations but, not every journey can. I had learned much and had some unique experiences and isn’t that travel is all about…..I think so.

March 27, 2010

What a day!

How I spent my day:

Drove from Budva to Tivat (Montenegro) (1 passport control)

Flight from Tivat to Belgrade (Serbia) (2 passport controls)

Flight from Belgrade to Budapest (Hungary) (1 paassport control)

Flight from Budapest to Amsterdam (Netherlands) ( 1 passport control)

This set a new record for the most passport control/stamps in one day (5)!

Budva