The beginning

Budapest Travel Blog

Adam, Laci, Judit and Balázs in the Keleti train station, Budapest

It began with a map. A map of the Balkans what Judit got when she was working in a tourist information office. She showed it to me and said that It’d be cool to go to Sarajevo. I said Sure, we can go!

We got really interested in that place and decided that if we’re in Bosnia-Herzegovina we should check out Mostar, too. And Dubrovnik (Croatia) is not that far from Mostar, so let’s go there also!

When Judit and I told our friends about our new travel plans most of them looked at us with horror on their faces.  We’ve been asked “Why don’t you go somewhere else? You’ll get shot!”

But 3 guys were brave enough to join us

-Balázs (Judit’s boyfriend)

-Laci and Adam (they only visited Sarajevo coz they couldn’t get so many days off)

After our plans got such negative reactions from our friends we were a bit afraid to tell our parents, but they were okay with it.  It seemed that only our generation has some issues with the Balkans. It’s not that we didn’t have any but we were more curious than afraid.

Our train was leaving from the Keleti train station at 9:50 a.m. (Two-way ticket costs about 55 euros.) Unfortunately there’s no night train from Budapest to Sarajevo and the journey takes about 12 hours, so we kinda wasted a whole day with the train ride. The first couple of hours passed easily, on that day was Laci’s 24th birthday, so we surprised him with a cookie and whished him Happy Bday, we were chatting a lot and got very happy when the immigration officers stamped into our passports. There weren’t many people on the train, just an English guy, a Chinese man and us.

Offspring_girl says:
we did. We were chatting all the way long :D
Posted on: Oct 03, 2010
Stigen says:
You should be able to have good fun on a train trip if your 4 people going ! just bring a deck of cards , or Trivial pursuit !
Posted on: Oct 01, 2010
Cantoffie says:
I envy this trip! I would Love to visit Mostar, Sarajevo, and Split!
Posted on: May 12, 2010
Adam, Laci, Judit and Balázs in t…
Adam, Laci, Judit and Balázs in …
photo by: Chokk