Leaving Vietnam

Phu Quoc Travel Blog

At the end of a long week in Vietnam, I was very sad to have to leave.  This is a beautiful country and I am already starting to plan my next trip.  This was the portion of my trip I did not know how I was going to do.  I wanted to Travel from Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville in one day.  None of the guide books said it was possible and the hotel in Phu Quoc agreed, but, the unknown is half the fun of travel, so I figured i would just play it by ear when I got there.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a number of places advertising it, once I got to the Island.  I was able to book door to door travel for about $32 USD.  This included picking me up at my hotel and taking me to the ferry, the ferry to Ha Tien, transportation from the Ferry to the border and a guide to help you with the crossing and then an Air Con bus to Sihanoukville.  they were supposed to pick me up at 7:45 and right on time they came and told me that the boat was broken and I would take a later one at 9:30.  So back to the beach for 2 more hours :) .  The Van showed up on time and took a total of 5 people to the fishing town where the Ferry was going to leave.  We then found out that the earlier ferry was not broken, just full and ours was an older and slower boat.  the funny thing is that it was $4 cheaper and they gave us the extra money back.  This was not something I was expecting as I had paid them to take me to Cambodia and they still were.  The Ferry was a nice 2:30ride through calm water and we were wondering if the bus would still be waiting for us.  It was (along with the tourists that got on the earlier ferry).  they had been forced to with 3:30 hours for us.  So I had 2 extra hours on a beach and an extra hour on the water, vs 3 1/2 hours at the travel office.  It took us about an hour to get to the border and make our way through all the check points.  The most interesting was that after walking 200 meters we had to pay $1 to have out temp taken and make sure we were not sick.  We all wondered how effective this was as we were all sweaty and hot.  all in all a easy travel day and now to meet my sister who had been working in Cambodia for the past year.
Phu Quoc