The Preamble

Alykes Travel Blog

Been going through some old photos and found some to scan for what I have included as one of my more memorable travel experiences in my profile :D

Despite having been invited for over a year we only firmed up attending a few weeks before, as the price of flights had been ridiculous up until then. Problem was this time we had to be there for a specific time, and didn't have that much flexibility with the dates. Eventually we had to settle for flying out of Glasgow and getting a seperate return flight back to Manchester, and then have to figure out how to get home from there.

Had first met Dimitris in 1990, when he was just 14 and had started working in a restaurant. He was gobsmacked one Saturday as thre of us sat and did 21 in bottles of beer at LUNCH :D. Was always impressed with his command of English from that age, and it was him that embarassed me into learning a bit of Greek.

Over the years we got to know each other better, and he progressed from helping me in my attempts to speak Greek into taking the piss and ridiculing them :D He thinks he is quite funny....not :d

Vicky went out there on holiday and met Dimitris. She returned to the UK and finished her degree and then headed straight back out and has been there ever since. They have run restaurants and bars, before moving on and buying there own and over the years we have spent time with them both in and out of their work.

So when it came to it we were really pleased to be invited out for the wedding, even though it was a time of year we normally wouldn't be going to Greece. It was to be the last week of the season so that they could continue working as long as possible, but it then led us to returning at that time every year since :) .

So we flew out of Glasgow at 7am on the Thursday morning