AsiaIndiaMumbai

Having patience at the airport in Mumbai and Mumbai Moments

Mumbai Travel Blog

It is about 8:00 or 9:00 pm, when we arrive in Mumbai airport. A group of 24 students and our 4 team leaders. Mumbai airport is really annoying to go through and one really needs patience. I guess having grown up in Uganda one can say I have a reasonable amount of patience, but our Canadian team lead did not. David was slowly turning red with irritation from all the fuss being made about our luggage (well we had a lot). It took almost two hours to disembark the plane get our bags and make it to the arrivals pickup. Of course we were delighted (we the students), we did not understand why David was working himself into a frenzy over the luggage beside he now lived in Uganda and patience is one of those things you learn really quick when you come to Africa in general. Last year we had traveled with brother John, David coordinated the logistics from Kampala. Well, we eventually left the airport and headed to the accommodation we had arranged for us, it was a family house with  6 bed rooms and two baths. David decided to stay in a hotel close by so he could have a working office while in Mumba. We began our mission the next morning by driving over to the two assigned orphanages, we were scheduled to work all week and take rest over the weekend. When the weekend came, David surprised us with a whole day city tour and told us we would have some time at the beach as well.

To enjoy Mumbai and India in general, one must look past the many flaws. If you compare the beaches with else where you will find that they do not stand up to expectations. However you can appreciate the long beaches and scenic views as you walk, especially along Juhu beach which is considered a historic landmark. We enjoyed eating the street food sold along the beach and smiling at the many who asked if we needed massages. As I mention, this was not a vacation, David arranged through Mr. Sheth who owns Mumbai Moments (a travel company) to give us a day's tour of the City on Saturday. Mr. Sheth arranged to have us picked up from our accommodation in one big van, he had a pleasant demeanor about him and a kind of reswpect you do not find very often. It was incredible to see Mr. Sheth go through the city's history as if he was a recorded device with all historic information stored in his head. As a student of history and Political science, I was thrilled to be learning all this information and actually seeing what I'm learning.  He was mindful of how large our group was (24), so he took time to explain things to us in a manner befitting a classroom. I do not know if the tour company still exists since it has been a while, but if it does I do recommend Mumbai Moments. I don't remember Mr. Sheth's first name let alone the contact information of his company, but I'm sure if you asked while in Mumbai, you are sure to find the company. Some attractions to consider while in Mumbai include: Juhu Beach of course, the cinemas, Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Gorai Beach is another nice beach, the Deccan Odyssey, the Heera Panna shopping center, Jain Temple and if time permits Essel World in the north of Mumbai, it is a theme park.

Side Note: The Indian people, both men and women like spitting anywhere they are (which quite honestly is disgusting), It is a habit that I think should be changed, I can stand the dirty streets and homes, but the spitting from the mouth on the side of the road or out of car windows I found extremely disturbing.

Mumbai