AsiaIndiaMumbai

Mumbai to Goa

Mumbai Travel Blog

Right now I'm looking out on the Arabian Sea from the very aptly named Palolem, which they tell me means paradise. One of the sweetest beaches I've ever seen, and I've seen some beaches boy.

Up to this point my trip has been what can only be described as awesome. Spent two days in Mumbai (formerly Bombay ((every fricken place in India has two names, as if one isn't hard enough for me to remember))). Entire duration of my hour-long taxi ride to my hotel on the south side was through the largest slum in southeast asia. Even though people live in dirt and drink brown water, they walk around smiling at each other, teeth or none. It's as though some of them never knew it could be better, and I sort of envy them, if in a naive, American way. I was the only white person I saw the whole time, yet nobody harassed me, and I only noticed a few who were staring. Mumbai is amazing because the incredibly rich live on the same street as the destitute; rats live on the same street as cows. One will see the worst assemblage of cardboard and tin-can housing all completely trashed, and in the distance some of the worlds greatest architecture. It is absolutely horrid and beautiful at the same time.

Tuesday night I had a 12-hour sleeper train ride to the state of Goa. Spent one night in Colva, met some cool people from Canada and a girl from North Carolina, still the only other American I've seen in India. Next day came down here to Palolem, by way of taxi whose driver spent most of the drive trying to convert me to Christianity. He also wanted to know if all Americans involve themselves in gun fights and whether everyone from Chicago was in the Mafia. I asked him if everyone in India has malaria. Just spent the last two days relaxing and sweating on the beach and in my 5 dollar beach hut, which is way better than I had assumed a 5 dollar beach hut would be. Western toilet and everything. Every Indian here wants to sell you something, mostly jewelry and sarongs, and some drugs, but they're all friendly whether you buy or not.

So far I've eaten vegetables, walked around in shorts and no shoes, talked to strangers, hell even took some candy from one, drank the water, and felt great the whole time. By the way, I've had zero bug problems. Mosquitos here seem to be far fewer than back home. Don't believe what scared American people tell you.

Now I'm heading up to Anjuna Beach to meet up with Cammie and her friends from Belgium for a few days. I'll try to write again soon.
ChiTownMike says:
"He also wanted to know if all Americans involve themselves in gun fights and whether everyone from Chicago was in the Mafia. I asked him if everyone in India has malaria."

Haha, nice