Tsukiji Market and Ginza Street

Tokyo Travel Blog

Although we planned to go early to Tsukiji fish market, we arrived late enough not to see the Tuna auction. The market was almost empty by the time we arrived at. Shops were closing and there was little to see, so we decided to come early the next day. We walked around exploring for a while but the area didn't have much to offer.

We looked at our sites list and decided to go to nearby Ginza street. It was easy to use Tokyo metro provided that you keep a watch on the area name you want to go to. The first time we used the metro was when we were at Akihabara. We were looking at a map we got from the hostel to figure out the station location when suddenly a stranger approached us with "broken English" asking us whether we were tourists.

I am in lust with street food!
I thought for a moment that he is a tourist like us and he might need some help, surprisingly he was a Japanese. The station was few steps away from the place we stood at. He asked us to follow him and we did so, but when we reached the entrance of the station he continued with us inside. At that moment I felt suspicious about his intention. Anyhow, he showed us the ticket machine and asked us about the destination. After inserting our destination (Ueno at that time), the machine asked for the value of the ticket. I took my wallet out of my pocket and handed him the money. He gave me the ticket and took the change after asking for it! He was kind to help my friends buy their tickets too. This was really a challenging moment; I thought that the moment I hand him the money he will run with it.
Luckily for us it was safe Japan and such acts are extremely unwelcome there.

From that moment on, with some logic, available English boards and ticket machines we used the metro on daily basis. You need to know the destination your heading to, the line it belongs to and the time of the train arrival. The cost of the ticket is shown on the network board around the station and you need to insert that amount in the English speaking ticket machine. The same thing applies for the railway network with the exception of buying the tickets from the ticket office unless you have a pass.

There were three stations with Ginza in their name, so we had to guess the right one. Although we made the wrong guess, we managed to walk to nearby Ginza street. Ginza street is a paramount street for those interested in fashion with various high street brands, coffee shops, restaurants and boutiques. Brands include Gucci, Dior and Chanel to name few. What was interesting to see was the dedicated buildings to each department store. Each building was a showcase of its brand glory. Since I'm not a fan of fashion nor any of my friends we didn't spend much time in the stores. We then went to Akihabara before going for a rest in the hostel.

photo by: maka77