Leningrad 1

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Leningrad in 1975

Morning found the train running though a thick forest of pine and birch. I took up my seat at the window once again. The train began to make stops at local stations. I had expected that an international express like this would run nonstop from the border. But it didn't. In fact, it took on the character of a commuter train. I can't say whether or not we had picked up local coaches at some point. The local platforms were crowded with Sunday travelers bound for Leningrad.

We reached Finland Station at about 9:30 a.m.. Finland Station is famous for being the station through which Lenin returned to Russia from exile in 1916. After disembarking we walked the lengh of the train to the exit. A green electric locomotive was at the head end. Inside the station, the steam locomotive that powered Lenin's train was on display.

Prominently on display was a statue  of Lenin at the exit. "They have him everywhere" someone said. But I knew the whole story and was sure the statye was there to commeomorate the role the station had played in the Revolution.

We met our Intoruist guide at the entrance to the station. She would keep close watch on us during our stay and made sure no one strayed. That as the way it was through Eastern Europe in this era. As I also described in the 1970 blog, visitors were welcome, but you were not free to wander about on your own.

That evening was a performance by a fokloric song and dance troupe.

Russian fokloric dance troupe