French press coffee and active volcanoes

Cilaos Travel Blog

The Indian Ocean Island of Reunion was one of the destinations I sold as a Travel Consultant. Other Islands like the Seychelles, Maldives and Madagascar were included in the Indian Ocean Island destinations too. It is actually a part of the French overseas department, so as you can imagine the French influence is predominant, French is the official language spoken. I made a 4 days stop in Reunion on my way back from Antananarivo in Madagascar in 2001. This Island is particularly interesting because of it's elevation above sea level and the tropical island that matches it to the Hawaiian island in continental United States. It sits on a hot spot in the earth's crust making it a target for volcanic activities. Reunion has active volcanoes that are constantly under monitor. Now my fun time in reunion was spent learning about coffee making and drinking.

French press coffee was it . . . the aroma and taste have stayed with me. I visited two cities while I was there; Cilaos and Saint Gilles. The main purpose of my visit was to find a hotel in Cilaos that we could use in our honeymoon packages and establish a long term service contract with a local travel agent who would be our point of contact. Ciloas was a disappointment as far the business side was concerned, they did not have any hotels that met the requirements of my clients so we did away with Cilaos altogether. I spent a full day there and toured the city for a while. The memory of the city is only in the aroma of the coffee I had on arrival and departure, best coffee I have had.

photo by: Wardy_Shaz