AsiaJapanOkinawa

Okinawa, Japan

Okinawa Travel Blog

Our day in Okinawa started at the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum. It was a beautiful day and the memorial was extremely peaceful and serene. At the memorial was the "Cornerstone of Peace" a collection of large stone plates with the names of all fallen soldiers (including both the Taiwanese and the Americans, some Koreans and Britons as well I believe.) So sad to see how many people died in that war. Awful. The memorial overlooked a beautiful cliff and coast line. The coast made for some beautiful pictures. After the memorial we boarded the bus and went over to Shuri castle.

The Shuri castle which was built in the 14th century was almost completely destroyed during the Battle of Okinawa in 1945. So we only saw the reconstructed castle. Part of the castle was still under construction. I thought the castle was rather plain. I was expecting something a little more extravagant, but all in all it was pretty.

After the castle we headed over to Kokusai-dōri, also known as the miracle mile. On the way we passed the Naha Diner, which was built high up in a large tree. It was a really interesting site to see, I wonder how customers get up there to eat, wow. Since it was a Sunday the roads were closed off and there were tons of street performers lining the Kokusai-dōri street. We watched everything from dancers, to fire tamers, to jugglers. It was very interesting. Most of the souvenir shops sold Shisa Dogs in every bright color.The Shisa dogs are half lion, half dog and are thought to protect Okinawa from evil. They were everywhere. Very cute actually. I brought one home. I could certainly use a protectant! Save me little Shisa. :) I also bought a really pretty little bottle of Saki as a souvenir. I got to try the sata-andagi, which are little deep fried donut balls. They were delicious. I had the regular sugar version, they also offered the brown sugar version. Okinawa was a little pricier then the other Asian cities I've visited. About equivalent to US prices, if not pricier. It was a nice relaxing day in Japan. I hope I get back to see Tokyo one day soon!

Okinawa