AsiaIndiaAgra

Monuments...

Agra Travel Blog

Taj Mahal (Agra)
I have to admit I was quite reticent to visit monuments and do tourist sightseeing in India. Don't ask me why, it's just not really the kind of things I'm into.
Still, my girlfriend really insisted on going to visit at least Taj Mahal and Fatehpur Sikri. She ended up convincing me and so we went. I did enjoy the parts of Fatehpur Sikri where there's almost nobody. Because it's quiet, and you can take your time to look at the architecture. For the rest, I don't really know what to think... Yes, it's impressive, it's beautiful, it's amazing, it's wonderful... But after one week of meetings with Indian people, of immersion in Indian way of life, it's just... insipid. Plus, I'm kinda allergic to tourist crowds, so it was a bit of a problem in this kind of places.
Taj Mahal (Agra)

The only places I really enjoyed were the small temples I was sometimes invited to visit by random guys in the street, and a complex of cenotaphs a couple of kilometers away from the center of Udaipur. First, because I was almost the only visitor. Second, because I loved what the guy told me at the entrance : "Welcome, please pay attention to the rules of the place : remove your shoes if you go to the second level of a cenotaph, and don't take photographs. But like everywhere in India, as long as you're discret, don't go out with your camera around your neck, and give a backshish to the guard, you can do whatever you want ! Enjoy your visit !". And third, because the place was quite an impressive maze of monuments in the middle of which it was nice to get lost.
For the rest, I'll just quote what someone told me before we go and visit the Taj :
"Taj Mahal ? Well, yeah, like many monuments, it's something you have to do once in your life, because yeah, it's impressive and beautiful. But once is enough"
Temple (Pushkar)