A salty business

El Golfo Travel Blog

Continuing south, I was now headed to the southernmost area, Playas Papagayos. Playa del Afe, Mujeres, del Pozo, de la Cera, de Papagayo, del Congrio, and Muelas make up the different beaches of the point. Playa Mujeres, del Pozo, del Congrio, and Muelas are naturist beaches.

As I was passing the area of the coast where El Golfo sits……I could see the salt pans and the windmill. I had to stop and just look and take a few pics. I exited the highway and drive up a hill to a promontory where I had a commanding view of the area.

In a spot where there is a little cove with a natural barrier that when the water is high, it passes into the cove. When the water is low, there is a separation between the ocean and the cove. It becomes a coastal lake.

There is a main windmill that pumps the salt water from the cove to a channel. Then from there, there is another windmill that pumps the water from the channel to pans that are shallow and allow the natural evaporation process to take place. This generates a tremendous amount of salt as can be seen by the mounds of salt in the pictures….big mounds.

El Golfo