A real Canarian city

Santa Cruz de Tenerife Travel Blog

Finally reaching the highway, I was in Santa Cruz in no time.  I headed for the downtown waterfront where I found the old town and the remnants of Carnival and sadly, the terrible effects on the previous weeks weather disaster. Bridges had been damaged and destroyed. The main church and museum situated on either side of the main water runoff channel, had water damage.

Plaza Espana is an adventure. While resting there and enjoying the surroundings it’s gonna be your chance for meeting people from all ages. The square’s focal point is the Monumento de los Caidos, commemorating the dead of the Spanish Civil War. A variety of historical structures circle this huge water reservoir/fountain/skating rink.

Iglesias de la Concepcion was the first chapel built by the Spanish conquistadors after landing on the shores of Arnaz (Santa Cruz de la Tenerife).

It is an example of Baroque style Canarian / Tuscan influence.

Just off the Plaza Espana, behind the pond/fountain, there is an artisan shop integrated into the basalt built structure. The shop has products and crafts made locally and unique to Tenerife. I bought a ceramic statue of highland shepherd man in his traditional long coat. This is unique to La Lagauna and La Orotava on Tenerife.

The drive bacik to Puerto De La Cruz was a fantastic feast for the eyes. I had a difficult time focusing on the road. On my right were villages cascading down the mountain sides to the Atlantic. In front of me was the dominating, El Tiede. There was a mist gripping the top of the mountains to the left and causing a light haze. It was a dramatic return and can only imagine having that as  a view each day. That would be a dream come true.

Upon my return I sat out on my balcony and enjoyed a cool sunset while I wrote a bit about my day. I was tired and decided to have a peaceful evening in.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife