My journey from Lazarote to Gran Canaria to La Palma!

Santa Cruz de la Palma Travel Blog

My flight to La Palma had a connection through Gran Canaria. That flight was delayed due to weather conditions. I was really worried because I only had a one hour layover between the two fights. We left 45 minutes late. The flight was terrifying. It was like God was pushing the plane around like a ball of paper. Soon it was over and we landed.

We were let out into the baggage claim area of Gran Canaria  Airport and I had to exit back into the terminal!!!! SO, I now had to locate a flight departure screen, find which terminal and then go back through security. To make a potentially long story short…I did it and just in time. My flight was boarding and I got in line as the last persons were boarding….whew!!!

Then, we were delayed due to weather. We left 30 minutes or so late and that flight was only a little bit less scary.

I landed and was now trying to find my rental cars station/person. Iremembered that I needed to go to a meeting point, however there wasn’t one signed in the terminal. I thought maybe I should go outside. There was signage that said meeting point 9 minute walk and pointed a direction. I thought that …..this sounded a bit far…but, I would try it.

La Palma is evidently getting a big new airport as there is a massive structure being built behind the tiny, current airport.

I reached the “meeting point” and a guy speaking German said something but then spoke English. To make this story shorter, he was not a nice person. He cheated me and then used the line that there is no one to call at this time of night….@#@#&! Then I got to the car and it was not what I reserved. I was so have a two level upgrade due to their anniversary doing business. I ended up with a bottom of the barrel, only better than walking, kind of car…..#$*(#&$!

Anyway, I drove to Santa Cruz and parked along the waterfront. The apartment was easy to find as it is only a block off the waterfront.

I called and let them know that I was waiting at the front gate. They were closed…but, they knew my flight time! I waited for almost 20 minutes for someone to show up.

He was very nice and offered to take my luggage. As he was so late……I let him carry my 24 kilo bag up 4 flights of stairs!

The apart was very comfortable and was a nice view out to the Atlantic!

As I arrived in the dark, what will I find when I wake up. I hope La Palma is as it is billed, “La Isla Bonita”, the beautiful island.

Santa Cruz de la Palma