My first rainforest

Los Tilos Travel Blog

Continuing north, the inland scenery was becoming more dramatic. I was nearing the Los TIlos but, continued north to San Bartolo for a quick look at an very different church. I would later learn that this style is common to La Palma’s churches.

Los Sauces, which has a pleasant city center with quite the church. It’s a shame that the highway runs through the center of their center.

After my quick stop in Los Sauces, I started down the road to Los TIlos. It’s a one way, major portions of the getting into and out of. Once in the Los Tilos area the road is two way but is sized for a car and maybe a bicycle.

Los Tilos is a Unesco biosphere reserve. It received this designation in 1983. It measures only 2 sq miles of almost vertical ravine (Barranco del Agua) and is a misty overgrown rainforest. Moss covered laurel trees, the islands largest concentration of lauisilva, myrtle and ferns make us the vast majority of green within Los Tilos.

It has an “other era” feel to it. You can smell the water and freshness of green. The peace and quiet is only broken by the sounds of insects or an occasional rooster.

I drove through and stopped several times to take in the magnificent beauty….so much green. I stopped at a parking area and was going to take the hike but, reading warning, I decided to try another day as I was warned about the difficulty and I had no food or water with me.

I continued on to the visitor’s center and then made my way back to the highway.

Los Tilos