A dramatic start and a colorful sunset

Garanchico Travel Blog

Morning

Today, my plan was to see the northwestern part of Tenerife. This would include cliffs of staggering height, valleys of equally staggering depth, and a quaint coastal village.

My start was out the wrong direction of Puerto De La Cruz but, it lead to my discovery of a vantage point with amazing views. The waves were still crashing with might and fury but, beautiful none the less.

I continued on…..starting on the highway, then a two lane, then barely a lane and ¼ but, back to my story. Once on the coastal road, with every turn I was amazed by the dramatic nature and quaint village hanging from sides of mountains or clinging to a rocky shore.

I could see coastal Garachico from high above….

.a stop for later. I stopped in the upper town (500m/1500ft above the coastal town) and took in the Iglesia San Juan Bautista, built in the 17th century.

Evening

I made good time in reaching Garachio upper town and now just needed to get to the lower town…..1500 feet down. I know my poor little Citroen C3 was really tired of all of the twists and turns….I know I was. But, it always leads to something great.

Reaching the lower level, I stopped and the first parking area, still a distance from the village. It had a perfect view of the coast and the island, as well. The waves crashing onto the lava pools was quite a sight.

The Castillo de San Miguel guards the village at the top of the lava pools.

I went to the town center and enjoyed a walk around the colorful and playful spot. The Iglesia de Santa Ana dominates with its 6 story bell tower. Its 18th century rebuild was required as the 16th century original was a victim to the volcano.

I found a simple little clay statue of a man in his traditional coat, unique to La Lagauna and La Orotava. It was in a little shop that was a much better representation of local artisans.

The sun was low in the sky as I made my return to the apartment. I enjoyed a colorful sunset from my balcony and had a relaxing evening looking over the day’s pictures. What a day, it was. I got to see some amazing natural beauty that is definitely worth the effort…..because it was some effort.

Garanchico