A breezy, beautiful evening and a risky decision.

Santa Cruz de la Palma Travel Blog

As a last stop for the day, I visited the Santurario de la Virgen de las Nieves. It sits in a peaceful spot surrounded by trees and greenery. The church has a simple façade but the most fabulously ornate interiors. Lush carpets, historical paintings, sculptures, and crystal chandeliers are just the lead up to the main event, the Virgin Mary herself, surrounded by a glittering altar of silver and gold. The 14th century statue is the oldest religious sculpture in the Canary Islands. It predates the Spainish invasion. Every 5 years the statue is brought down to Santa Cruz in a grand procession. This July and August, the festival will be in full swing, again.

I returned to Santa Cruz and to the apartment for a bit of early dinner and a rest.

In the evening I went back out to enjoy a walk around the city for my last night.

Everyone was out enjoying a cool and comfortable evening. Familes were on the stroll and kids were playing soccer at the Plaza Espana.

I found a ceramic Canarian balcony created by a local artisan…a must for my collection.

I returned to the apartment with a decision to make. Mona had told me before I left for my walk, that the airport had been closed, today, due to the high winds. My alternative was to take the ferry to Los Christanos in the southern part of Tenerife, three busses later, to arrive at the airport. This would take much time but, was guaranteed.

I had Rob check on the airline and the airport’s information about departures and arrivals, this evening. Most of them had been cancelled but did leave latter in the evening. Based on this and the fact that there were three flights, by my airline, to Tenerife Norte, after mine and before my connection to Nuremberg, Germany, I decided to risk it.

I hope that I made the right decision.

Santa Cruz de la Palma