EuropeSpainYaiza

Uga, Yaiza and I need money!!!!

Yaiza Travel Blog

Uga

Today was my day for the southern area of Lanzarote. I started off driving to Uga. It’s a tiny quaint village of white cube houses with green details. Its peaceful streets will make you feel like you are alone to enjoy this little gem.  It was an unplanned stop but, it was so cute that I had to take a quick walk around and a few pictures.

Next, I stopped at Yaiza.

Yaiza, like Haria, is one of the special places to visit on Lanzarote. It’s at the foot of the Montanas del Fuego. It had been a wealthy 19th century merchant’s town and there is still evidence of this, today.

On the way into town I spotted on of Manique’s pieces of architecture and took a quick photo op.

Yaiza

Yaiza is special but, the Nuestra Senora de los Remedios is where the treasure is. There are masterful works of Baroque art inside. The pieces are fanciful and colorful but with and artisan flair that I’ve not seen elsewhere. The chapel dates from 1699 but, much of the church was added the 18th century.

I realized that I’d not picked up some cash and I would need some for the park entrance fee, coming up soon. I looked all over the town, didn’t take too long, and came up empty. I consulted the Tom Tom and he said that I needed to cross the park entirely and two towns past, I would find an ATM. Ok. So, I would get a park preview. This was actually a good thing as I saw what I wanted to try and find a quick stop / photo op. See, there are only two spots within the park that it is allowable to park…more on that later.

photo by: EmyG