Southern La Palma

Fuencaliente Travel Blog

I continued south and soon entered the Fuencaliente area. It’s name means hot springs as their used to be hot springs here before eruptions ended their gurgling.
In the first area that I went through, most of the trees looked burned??? The ground was covered with churned up or chunky lava with not much plant life. I guess this is from a more recent eruption.

In this area the roads were a mess with debris. Mounds of dirt, fallen trees, and broken pavement were everywhere. Many times the road was reduced to one lane with someone directing cars around but, sometimes no one. This road had really taken a beating.

A little further down the mountain road, I stopped for a field of flowers. It was very picturesque as there isn’t much variety in color in this area.

I was soon where I should turn to go to the Route of Volcanoes.

There was a sign posted and a barrier. It was closed due to bad conditions…..aarrgghh!

I decided that I would just drive the coastal road around the whole island. I love ocean and mountain views. This plan would be the best of both.

I continued on through Los Canarios, dramatic mountains surrounded it. I was headed in the direction of Puntagorda on the upper west side.

I came a big valley to the west of Los Canarios. For as far as the eye could see, up and down the mountain sides of this valley, banana plantations…..I love bananas.

I made it to the other side of the valley and up the mountain side. This provided me a great view of the villages that I had been through. What a scene of lush vegetation and colorful little houses.

I made it no further north than Tazacorte and was faced with another road closure. This time it was the main road and I was forced to turn around. What to do now. My plans were not working out, today.

Fuencaliente