Laying on the beach and the golden sands of the Sahara at the same time!

San Andres Travel Blog

Playa de las Teresitas

I slept in a bit due to the sleepless nights. First of all, this place has no air conditioning and it’s been quite warm. I don’t sleep well when I am too warm. That combined with the people noise, late at night, and the machine noise from construction, early in the morning, I haven’t had a good night’s sleep since I’ve been here. Oh, the bed sags in the center!!!

Ok, enough complaining. After a fruitless outing to look for a replacement suitcase as AirBerlin ripped open the bottom of my suitcase, I attempted to patch it with tape.

I decided a little tropical beach was in order so, I packed up and headed to a cove north of Santa Cruz. Playa de las Teresitas, just north of San Andres, is an artificial marvel. In the 1970’s, the government bought 140,000 cubic yards of Saharan sand to create this sweeping beach for locals. Beautiful local palms line the edge and others have grown here and there adding to the tropical feel. The Anaga Mountains behind add to this out of the ordinary experience. Many locals and even a few tourists found it, along with me. It’s very peaceful and the water was clean and cool. I was happy to have this sunny, hot day but, the cool water was appreciated.

After a bit of sun baking, I took the short walk to San Andres. It’s a spit of a town that crawls colorfully up the mountain, behind it. An ancient fortification rests at its northern corner and is badly damaged. The northern half has fallen away from the rest.

Cemetary by the sea