Lanzarote's most beautiful beaches

Playas Papagayo Travel Blog

Playa Papagayo

I returned to the highway and continued to Playa Blanca, another created holiday village with no soul. From here, there is a sign on a roundabout that points off in a direction…….and a few hundred meters is all you have left of the pavement. For the next 20 minutes you are driving on a heavily pitted and rough dirt road. In some areas it is necessary to slow to a crawl as the car is shaking you mad.

In the middle of this, about 2/3rd of the way there, a little guard house sits. A lady comes out and collects 3 euro from you. I’m all for paying for the maintenance of roads and parks but, there is absolutely nothing that this is paying for.

So, I made it out to the point and stopped at two of the four beaches.

From the second I could see the third but there were just a few naked people there.

So, I first stopped at Playa Papagayo, the most beautiful of the beaches. There is a beautiful crescent moon shaped cove that is protected by rock promontories on both sides.. It was definitely the most popular and is the one that you see on postcards and posters. From the center promontory there was a view of Playa del Pozo and all the way to Playa Blanca and beyond.

The next one I visited was Caleta del Congrio area, i believe. I climbed the rocky outcropping between the two and took survey. The one to my left seemed to be clothing optional and the one to my right seemed to be all only nude. I enjoyed what I saw…..of the beach that is but, I wasn’t compelled to stay. I decided to return to the paved road and continue to La Geria, the wine region.

Playa Blanca