Lanzarote's first city and my first look at the landscape

Teguise Travel Blog

Don’t you just hate really early travel mornings, I do!

I was up at 4:55 (not that I slept much). I gobbled down a bit of breakfast, showered, and checked out by 5:35. I really needed to be at the airport, car returned, and checking in by 6:00, or so I thought.

I raced to the airport…..there wasn’t much traffic on the highway at that time of morning so, I made good time.

The airport was filled with people in many long lines….I was worried as it was 6:10. Then I found my check-in. Of the five stations open, not one had a line…..too funny. Also, I was the only person going through security as well. It seems that for flights between the islands, everyone shows up at the last minute. They only board 15 minutes before the flight, as well.

The plane was larger than I expected, about 100 seat turbo prop. It shuttered when they revved the engine…..comforting!

The flight mostly cloudy with just a few mountain tops peaking through…..until we approached Lanzarote. The clouds parted and a sky of blue showed this barren paradise, yet for me to discover.

Landing was a breeze and the tiny little airport produced my luggage in record time. I even didn’t heave to wait at the car rental counter. When I got to the parking lot, looking for the car….

.I was in a quandary. The lot isn’t very large, doesn’t need to be but, The spots marked for my rental agency didn’t have the car I thought I was looking for. I read the key tag again and looked at the color….rojas (red). It was a red Peugeot 307. I walked back through and looked for anything red. There was only one….a red Peugeot 307 cc (cabriolet). I was in shock…..a cool car, and I only paid 20 euro per day!!! I’m liking this island already and I haven’t even seen anything yet.

I headed for Costa Teguise, just north of Arecliffe by 15 minutes. The roads were really good and so, I was easily able to find my way.

I arrived at my “resort apartment” and tried to check in, however, it was only 8:30. I knew that it was only a possibility. The reception told me that they were full (almost 400 apartments). I had asked about upgrading as they had a sign about a promotion were it would only be 16 euro additional to have a beachfront.

I had booked a junior (bottom of the barrel). She said they were full….remember well, moments later she said that I had already been upgraded. Would you believe that I was upgraded from bottom of the barrel to top dog…..beachfront! Iguess all of my travel sacrifices had paid off……the travel gods were smiling on me. She told me that It wouldn’t be ready until sometime after 2pm as the guest had until  12:00 to check out.

I had a plan for the day already to go so, I hopped in the car and headed for Teguise, the original capitol of the island, made so by the conquistadors in the 15th century. It stayed here until 1852. It is thought to be the most attractive Spanish colonial town on Lanzarote and the best example of its kind, as well.

Ok, I’ve gotten ahead of myself, I have to get there first, right. I drove across desolate lava fields with white washed cubes for villages.  The whole look reminds me a bit of Gozo  and a bit like The Faroe Islands….

.so, it’s my kind of landscape.

Everywhere you look the landscape is littered with hollowed out volcanoes. It does look like most all of them were side blast like Mount St. Helens……interesting. I stopped for bit to explore some interesting plateau erosions, sculpture like.

I continued on and soon made it to the town center of Teguise. I decided to do a walk that was recommended by one of my travel guides. It was really a good overview of the heart of this island.

I started with the Church of Nuestra Senora de Guadelupe, built in 1420 with gothic decorated interior.

Across the square is the Palacio Spinola, built between 1730 ��" 80, is the official residence of the government of Islas Canarias.

The home has been incredibly restored. It has a light open feeling that is at one with the island’s nature. It’s really incredible how cool it is inside given that it has no a/c and the outside temp was 30+.

The alleyways beckoned me….and so I went. In one, lone passageway, I came upon a friendly cat, we chatted a bit and he rubbed upon my leg. He let me take his picture and then I was on my way.

I had a quick stop at the Convento de Santo Domingo, and interesting building but, closed!

Ok. A brief note, it was now after 10:00 and only a very few of the town’s people were out and about. I guess they aren’t morning people.

The Convento de San Francisco was my next stop and surprised me in that it was empty of almost everything religious and is now used as an art gallery.

The art wasn’t very interesting.

I stopped for a corner park and its amazing gate. Many of the village’s parks had elaborate gates. I would see this again.

Having seen much of this great capitol, it was time to move on….lot’s to see!!! Only, I didn’t make it very far.

Across the street is the Castillo de Santa Barbara, a 16th century creation as a watchtower, became a refuge for towns people who hid here from the frequent pirate raids. It serves as The Museo de Emigrante Canario. It tells the story of who emigrated to these islands and where they emigrated to in later centuries. Also, it tells a shocking story about San Antonio, Texas as much of it’s oringal governmental make-up was from these little islands.

photo by: boxinbcn