EuropeSpainMazo

Ceramic workshop on a picturesque mountainside

Mazo Travel Blog

Today, I would try to go to the Caldera de Taburiente, a very special volcano. I asked Mona, at reception, about where I should go. She called the park information services and asked about today’s weather. She also looked at some webcams online and the news wasn’t good. There was complete cloud cover and -3 celcius.

She suggested that I go to the southern point at Fuencaliente and try the Route de Volcanoes. She said that it’s quite a unique view.

So, off I went. My first stop was near Mazo. Mona had told me about a ceramics workshop that was quite good.

El Molinillo, sits in a most picturesque spot surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a view of the mountains and coast…..perfect! They house has a local style windmill that is a part of the house. It was damaged by the recent storm.

The workshop is housed in a 19th century building that includes an ethnographic museum. The two craftsmen, Ramon and Vina, use techniques followed by the island’s early inhabitants. They reproduce pottery in the original shapes and patterns. I happened to be there when Ramon was working ……a special glimpse of an artist at work.

At their shop, I decided on a medium sized piece that would have been used for containing wine  or some other special beverage at dinner.

Mazo