2000 ft cliffs of Los Gigantes

Los Gigantes Travel Blog

Macizo de Teno

With much more to see I continued on. Heading inland to cross the Macizo de Teno, I had a totally new geography in front of me. Basalt mountains terraced by erosion and El Tiede in the Background. The valley lay before me with a smattering of villages.

I could now see through to the western coast and the ocean. What a view, before me.

Now, I had ventured a bit farther than my day’s destinations required to visit a village that was said to offer local artisans works. It was quite a bit out of the way. For all who think of venturing to Guia de Isora, don’t . There really isn’t anything that you can’t find at other artisan shops in the other cities and the prices are no better. I was really disappointed by the amount of junk.

Los Gigantes
Oh well, you try and then you learn.

So, after getting lost a bit, I descended to the awe-inspiring, Acantilado de los Gigantes. To say that these cliffs are massive is a serious understatement. I have stood at the top of great cliffs of 1200 feet in the Faroe Islands and felt tiny but at up to 2000 feet high, there are no words. It’s just hard to comprehend ….over 1/3 of a mile high. I accidentally turned took the wrong exit off of a round-a-bout that gave me such a fantastic vantage point for my pictures.

The villages that rest in it’s shadow are nothing but a creation for tourist with no real charm. I walked through but, there was nothing interesting to keep me longer. It is worth your time just to see….but then more along…….to Masca!

MrD3071 says:
I have been to Los Gigantes 13 times now, mostly as part of being dragged along with the family. Nice review.
Posted on: Feb 02, 2011