Safari - Ngorongoro Crater

Tanzania Travel Blog

I made it into the next day. I heard someone talking then footsteps heading my way, it was a security guard, he walked around my tent and shone his torch to check it out before going on to check more areas. I was aware that he checked the area that I was in a few times during the night. My alarm sounded, I quickly put my clothes on and got out of the tent and went to the area where our breakfast would be served. It was still dark but the sun was starting to rise and no torch was needed. Moments later the rest of my group arrived. Two of the girls had slept really well but all of them had heard me scream in the night and Buffalo chewing and sniffing around the tents. It was quite a talking point and soon I was laughing about it. After breakfast we drove down into the crater, a very steep descent with Masai stood trying to sell their beads on the side of the track.
There was lots of Wilderbeast, Zebra and Impala straight away to be seen. The pink colour of the Flamingo on the lake was always in the distance, there were a lot more Hyena and Jackals here and also this was the place to see the Black Rhino. It wasn't long before Emah had spotted in the distance a Rhino, we all got the binoculars out to see, and we moved closer and found a spot to stop and watch. It looked like the Rhino was going to cross the road in front of us, he was very cautious then made a run for it. The radio went mad again there were lots of sightings of different animals and we shot off to see the Cheetah, then more Lions, including 2 males and a female calling for a mate. Another 5 Rhino were also seen, an old Bull Elephant and a Lion eating her kill. We had been so lucky and seen such a lot and all of the Big 5. After a packed lunch by the Hippo pool it was time or out ascent, back to the camp and load up fora long journey back to our hotels and hostels. It took around 5.5 hours and we were all very tired, but had a fantastic time together and arranged to keep in touch. We had a lovely view of Kilimanjaro as we drove back too. Back at the Osy Grand they were all wanting to know how I got on what I had seen.