Safari - Lake Manyara

Tanzania Travel Blog

I was on an early start 7am shower, breakfast and sort out what I would need for the next 3 nights on Safari before I was collected by African Scenic Safari at 8.20am. We picked up Valentine the girl that I had met the day before on the plane, then took an hour drive to Arusha to collect the other 3 girls for the Safari.(Eliza, Philippa and Sophia) Once we were all in we drove for 2 hours to the Fig Tree Camp site near to the entrance of Lake Manyara Park, not sure of the small town that it was in. We had a packed lunch at the camp site whilst out driver and cook put our tents up. It was only a few minutes drive to the National Park, we had to stop whilst Emah our driver collected the passes.
My Safari group
We were wondering what animal would would see first, then looked up and saw a small green snake in the shelter that we had stood under for shade. Within a couple of minutes we came across a group of Baboons, Elephants and their babies. We kept stopping and in the trees would see lots of monkeys playing, then Impala, Dik Dik, Mongoose, Giraffes, and Zebra. The one Giraffe was so still you could of thought it to be a cardboard cut out. It was fantastic, I didn't think I would see so many animals so soon or so close up. The warthogs were probably the animals that were further away than most animals we saw. After seeing the Buffalo, Hippos, Marabou Storks, Flamingo and lots more Zebra we we headed back out of the park and Emah spotted a Black Mamba Snake, this is the most venomous snake in Africa! Back at our camp we settled into our tent the checked out the toilets and showers, they were extremely basic, not what I'd imagined we'd experience at all, especially after my luxury in Zanzibar. We shared these facilities with many bugs, and flies. The showers were just a trickle and cold, which was ok as it cooled us off. The village we stayed in is nick named Mosquito town as there are lots of them around, due to 2 rivers that run through. It was so hot that night, and we heard thunder in the distance, along with many different animals.
Sausage tree