Moshi to Zanzibar

Moshi Travel Blog

I didn't need an alarm to wake me, am I just too excited, not tires or is it the side effects of the Malerone that I have to take? I had farewell wishes form the Osy Grand staff, and off I went backpack on, shades on, and hat on, and off to the shuttle bus. I felt great, walking up the main street, many of the locals were out doing there business already. As I passed some of them greetings were shouted Hey Mzungo, Jambo and Karibu, also again the smells of Africa and other sounds too were soaked up into my little world. It was the marathon today, I passed one of the check points, it looked like they had all gone by seeing the water cups on the side of the street. It was now 8.30am and I was pounced upon by a local called Kevin, I had seen him the day before whilst out. He was asking for me to buy a small souvenir so he could have some tea.
The round Masai villages
He was selling pictures that were made out of banana leaves. I did like the picture of the giraffe, but had to resist as it would be more to carry to Zanzibar. His friends started to arrive, they too had pictures to sell and showed them to me. We chatted for a while then it was time for the shuttle, only 3 people got on, it was 10,000 TSH. At the airport I noted down a few things in the shops and the prices, obviously more than in the streets but there were some beautiful carved masks, animals ans masai figures. It was a short flight just 1 hour,(I booked the flight in the UK via Precision air the return journey was £142 GBP) I took a few pictures as we went over, the Masai villages were easy to spot they were in circles.
A drink and snack was served on the plane. On arrival into Zanzibar everyone heads to find their luggage, no carosel, just a small window counter area and they held up the bag for passengers to claim. Once I had my bag, I just wandered outside, not sure how I was going to get to Nungwei. There was a lady sat on the wall looking as if she was on her way back, so I kust stopped and chatted to her about the best way she thought would be to go for me. The Dalla Dallas were fun but so cramped and would take quite some time so she thought the taxi was the best option. On queue a taxi driver walks over his name was Mansour, price of 45USD was the price negotiated for the hour long journey.
The roads were bumpy, it seemed poorer than the mainland that I had seen. We passed villages with houses being built of tree branches and mud. There were about 5 check points along the way, Mansour had to stop if he had a tourist in his taxi. Once in Nungwei the roads got very bumpy, just like driving over a potato field.Everyone waved and seemd happy as we went through the village, then we cam to some big wooden gates of the Doubletree Hilton. An eye appeard through a small hole and they opened the gates to let us in. The taxi door was opened for me and a greeting of 'Jambo Karibu Vanessa' How did they know it was me?? I was given a fresh juice asked to fill in the registration card and then given a small packet with a Hilton Doubletree signature cookie, yum yum.I figured out after a while that I was the only person left to check in that day so they knew it was me.
I had again booked this hotel in the UK it was a special rate as I am a member of the Hilton Honors Club and it was also a newly opened hotel, only 2 months old. My room was 222, Wow so luxurious, a big bed with the mosquito nets that made it look like a four poster. There was tea coffee and water in the room, also a big bowl of fresh fruit. I went by the pool had a swim then decided to go and she what I could find before dark. It had been said many times to me not walk on the beach at night or in the streets on my own. I found a little shop and got a few things before dark. All the snacks and drinks in the shop were the same price, it probably made it easier for the owner. I didn't really have much choice in where to have my evening meal due to walking in the dark, so ate in the hotel. It was a 3 course menu for 20,000TSH and in my opinion worth every penny. The presentation was so precise, service outstanding and taste just delicious. There weren't very many people in this hotel at all, maybe 30 at the most, and this night we had our dinner served on the beach, close to the sea edge, the moon was shining, just perfect, if only my husband was there.
My luxourius room