Moshi and Light in Africa

Tanzania Travel Blog

 › entry 13 of 16 › view all entries
I did not think I would wake early at all, but was wide awake once again so sat watched and listened at the sights and sounds in the street below. The dresses that the ladies wore were so colourful I thought I'd like one. I watches a an on the other side of the street, mark out and cut some fabric, he then got on his machine and continued to sew up the trouser, very clever without a pattern too. I had watched him before, also a small chicken family that lived on the side of the road. There was a lot of activity, women walking with loads on their heads, how clever, one even stopped and picked up another bag. It was time for a wonder I went into the market, it was so vibrant then a large lorry arrived in such a small place, it was full of pineapple.
Lots of men arrived with carts and soon started to unload the pineapple lorry and pull the carts away to go on their deliveries. It all smelt so sweet. I noticed a small stall selling Masai goods, so went and took a look. The guy was friendly and showed me lots of things and explained what they were used for. After I walked and took a look at the fish market a bit smelly but great to see. It was now getting warm and so I decided to take a taxi to the Impala Lodge to have a swim. It wasn't long and my friend rang and joined me. He had a call earlier and Mama Lynn from the Light in Africa Orphanage had said that it would be a good time late that afternoon to pop by to see how things were progressing with the building of another bungalow and to see the children.
It was a 30 minute drive to a town called Boma Ngombe where Tudor Village Orphanage was based. We were greeted by Pastor Frank and shown how they had been getting on with the bungalow and what needed to be done after the plastering. We went then to one of the finished bungalows where the children were just waking from an afternoon sleep. They slowly came from there rooms and were all pleased to see me, shaking my hand and telling me their names. They were all so beautiful, I hugged as many as I could, then they all tried on my sunglasses. Mama Lynn arrived and the children went out to play. We say had a drink and biscuit, Mama Lynn called the kids back in for a biscuit. They were all under 5 years by my estimation. 'Stand to attention' one said as they each received their biscuit and each said 'Thank you Mama Lynn'. It bought tears to my eyes. We continued to talk and Lynn who is from the UK told us so stories of how she has rescued some of these kids from horrific circumstances. She is truly a remarkable woman, a saint! ( Light in Africa has a website if you would like to read about her and some of the stories)I also visited the baby unit, all the little tots were sat waiting for their food. One little boy caught my eye because of his big bright eyes. His name was Danny, he had been left to die in a hut as his young mother couldn't cope and had no money to look after him, he was skin and bone when found, but is now doing extremely well and in good health. In turn I hugged and played with them all. I feel that I shall be going back here again one day and staying for a lot longer as a volunteer. It was time to go as was now dark, Lynn thanked my friend for all the help he is giving them and also me as I had taken some things for the orphanage to. I sat quiet thinking about the kids and how lucky I was to have everything I had. We stopped at the Kuku Chumba Chicken restaurant on the way back for our meal, it was a spit roast chicken with banana chips, very tasty too. We ate in candle light as the usual power failure had happened again, but it all bought ambience to the evening. We sat talking back at the Osy to Jill, she wanted to hear all about the orphanage, we shared a few bottles of local red wine as we chatted, followed by some Amurula before hitting the sack once again.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!