From the UK to Tanzania

Tanzania Travel Blog

My room 207
My alarm went off at 3.30am, we left at 4am to get to the airport early, this was proved to be a good idea as it was foggy and we got stuck behind a lorry. Once at Birmingham airport I checked in my luggage and said goodbye to my husband. It took quite sometime to get through security, but had enough time to sit and have a Cinnamon Latte in Costa Coffee. Boarding started on time, but we had an announcement that there was a delay as a passenger had checked luggage in but failed to join the flight, therefore luggage was having to be found and off loaded. Our delay was 30 minutes. I sat feeling nervous and very emotional. The air stewardess had noticed this and came to me, I started to cry and explained I'd not really been on such a long journey on my own before and was worried that I would now miss my connection from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro.
Room 207 Osy Grand Hotel Moshi
She had a word with the captain and explained that we would not have enough time to make our transfer, but not to worry as KLM would sort something out. She found that there were also 3 others on the same connection, and moved a man to sit close by me that was also in the same situation. She then said that if she was us she would run as fast as possible to the gate that our flight was due to go from as we might just make it, however our luggage probably wouldn't, but would follow the next day. The gate couldn't of been further away, I ran with the man as fast as possible,and felt so shakey once we got to the gate. Yes, we made it by the skin of our teeth! For the next 8.5 hours I wondered about my luggage. On arrival into Kilimanjaro we went to the lost baggage desk, they had been informed already by Amsterdam that our luggage was not on the flight and forms were all filled in for us to sign. Oh, no what would I do, it was so hot and would have to wait 24hours for my luggage. I continued through the door and was met by a friend that was already out in Tanzania, a nice cool bottle of water was greatly received too. Our journey to Moshi took around 40 minutes to get to the Osy Grand Hotel. I was in room 207,it had a fan and air conditioning. After placing my hand luggage in my room, we went into the bar area where I met Jill, she was from the Uk but helping to manage the hotel to move it forward to welcome guest in a more westernised way.I didn't sleep to well, my legs were very fidgety and had pains in my hips, I think this was from running so fast and then sat for most of the flight. I did have a surprise when I opened my hand luggage, I had forgotten that I'd put a cool skirt and light sun top in so I wouldn't be in winter clothing all next day!
Koralifix says:
Congrats on being featured! Nicely done!
Posted on: Mar 20, 2010