My best meal in KL

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Believe it or not!

The best meal I had in KL was in a hawker-type place serving northern Malaysian cuisine (which originates from Penang, based on my research) in big silver pots and chafing dishes displaying different colored-meat sauces!

Went in with Melanie and our tour-guide.  We were so hungry from all the walking we've done but, I must say, got out with a big fat belly after! :D haha!

Just to share, our very first meal in KL was a big mistake! We arrived late in the afternoon, practically skipped lunch, as we needed to be at the airport early.

Got to our hostel very late, so we decided to check out the nearby restaurants.  Found one called Emerald Garden or Jade Palace or some chinese restaurant sounding name (I actually forgot the name)... "Ah! Chinese food, yay!" or so we thought...  And so we went inside expecting hakaw, siomai, beef noodles, fried rice, and the usual yummy chinese dishes...but nooo, much to our dismay, instead we found they served "HERBAL" concoctions!  Which tasted really...yech...herbal!! ;{    Anyway, the owners were really polite and friendly so we decided to try something out of respect.  I chose the most "harmless"-sounding description I could find on the menu.  I'm sorry, but herbal chinese cuisine is really not for me, no matter how adventurous I am when it comes to food!  I tried it, tasted it, kept an open mind (promise!) even if I found unidentified floating objects in my soup!...But, the thing is, it just tasted too much like medicine! :(

And so (going back to my best meal story) you can imagine my hesitance when I first saw the colorful sauces hehe.  (Pics from the net: same exact set-up; infact i think this was the same exact place we went to!)

I looked around at first and when I saw the flavored rice mix, Nasi Kandar, and the really-spicy-colored fried chicken, plus the free papedom (my fave!- called papadum or poppadom by others) at the end of the booth, I quickly stepped in line to get my food! ;)

My jaw dropped when I saw the serving of rice the server gave me...made me wonder if he thought I was a heavy eater...hmm (argh, do I look fat?!)  Then he offered sauce on my rice (a must with their customers it seems) and I nodded with fingers crossed.

In the end, I was so glad I agreed to the sauce on my rice.  It was soo good and soo spicy, just the way I like it!

My friend ordered beef curry plus something else and we shared everything- the best meal in KL, I tell you! Light on the pocket too!

1st written in a Friendster Blog, Oct 2007

Featured restaurant: Restoran Palau Pinang Kayu Nasi Kandar SDN. BHD. - 24Jam

Location: Kuala Lumpur

amazed says:
Nice... You write well =)
Posted on: Aug 27, 2012
Stigen says:
I love Malaysian food...yummi!
Posted on: Mar 15, 2012
Daive says:
Hi! My newest entry is #13 found here-
:) Thanks for dropping by!
Posted on: Feb 28, 2012