St. Augustine Day 1

Saint Augustine Travel Blog

Inside our hotel.
We drove up to St. Augustine from Tampa. Left around 10am and didn't arrive until after 6pm. Needless to say, if you don't have to take I-4 during the middle of the day (or ever for that matter) don't. Avoid that stretch of interstate at all costs, especially if you're traveling with your mother-in-law (MIL) and/or a small child. I had the unfortunate opportunity of doing both.

After checking into the Hilton Garden Inn we decided to rest for a bit and then head out to get some dinner. Since our hotel was out on the beach we had to drive in to downtown. If you are able to afford a hotel in downtown, book it. While the drive isn't that far mileage wise it takes forever because the bridge going into the city is a two lane draw bridge which must be lifted repeatedly to allow for sail boats to pass.
My dinner... Can we say YUM.

Our first night we ate at the Columbia and the food was amazing. We all had the 1909 (that might not be the correct year) salad sans the ham because it was Friday during Lent. I had some chicken dish with cheese filled truffles in a creamy wine sauce, and we shared a pitcher of sangria. Service there was good and I'd go back again. Fortunately for me there is a Columbia in St. Petersburg which is much closer to my house. When I found that out I was a little sad because I thought the restaurant was one of a kind, not a small chain, but that just goes to show you how amazing it was to be able to fool me into thinking it was very special.

Since we were exhausted from the long car ride after dinner we drove back out to our hotel to get some rest for our only full day in St. Augustine.
My dinner... Can we say YUM.
Wall made of shells and sand from …
Wall made of shells and sand from…
Really old school house