Mama Mercy

Maungu Travel Blog

Making "oliebollen"

As I arrived in Maungu, Mama Mercy was already waiting for me. Together we took a tuktuk to Itinyi. At the road that leads to Mama Mercy's house the girls where waiting for us and it was a great welcome and very very nice to see all of them again, after 2 years.

Mama Mercy build a new little house at her compound where I would stay for the next few weeks. It is also a house for Peace Corps Volunteers or volunteers from Camps International. Camp Tsavo is located in Rukinga ranch, directly south of Tsavo East National Parkwildlife. This ecosystem is home to a large diversity of flora and fauna, many species of which are classified by IUCN (the World Conservation Union) as vulnerable, threatened or endangered, and boasts a large population of predators, especially lions. Rukinga Sanctuary forms part of a vital wildlife corridor (Tsavo Kasigau Wildlife corridor, TKWD) across the ‘Taru desert’ for a population of almost one thousand elephants and hundreds of buffalo that migrate seasonally between the Parks in search of water, temporarily giving Rukinga one of the largest populations of elephants on private land in Kenya.

I join Mama Mercy on her daily trips to the village, to the womensgroup, to a funeral and to a meeting in a Masai-village. In the evenings I spend some time with Ida and Mercy, two of the grandchildren that stay with Mama Mercy.

Making oliebollen