Kulafumbi

Mtito Andei Travel Blog

Mtito Andei,Kulafumbi

Sundaymorning december 20th, driving to Schiphol Airport,  the first snow is falling. My plane is still in the USA because of snowstorms. That means a delay of 10 hours. Finally my flight with Kenya Airways leaves at 21.00h. In the morning I arrived in Nairobi, but my luggage didn't. Luckily I had 2 days in NBI and after 2 days they found my bag ! I stayed at the Kenya Comfort Hotel. A nice hotel, with restaurant and bar.

On wednesdaymorning I took a taxi to Karen to meet the people I was going to drive with to 'Kulafumbi' near Mtito Andei. 'Kulafumbi' means 'eat dust' in Kiswahili.  'Kulafumbi' is situated on the confluence of the Athi and Mtito Rivers. The property borders the Tsavo National Park. As the house sits right where the two rivers meet, the view from the balcony is out over the rivers and the National Park.

Athiriver and Kulafumbi
The Yatta Plateau, allegedly the longest lava flow in the world, follows the Athi River on the far bank, and provides a stunning, ever changing backdrop to the river. 2 Years ago we met Tanya and Ian, who live here, and they invided me to spend Christmas with them and some friends.

Every day we sat on the balcony, enjoying good company, good food, nice drinks and ofcourse the amazing views. It's like Animal Planet Live. Every hour the view is different. Sunrise, rain, sunset, the rising of the river and the animals living around the house. Even the genets come every evening to see if we have left some food for them. The property is predominantly covered by Acacia and Commiphora bushland, overlooked by giant Baobab Trees and the more delicate Delonix Trees. At first glance, the bushland is grey, thorny and lifeless - how deceptive first impressions can be! In this dry country, nature and diversity thrive, for the wild species (unlike domestic stock) have evolved over millennia to live in these apparently inhospitable environments.

Hippo's in the Athi
On closer inspection, it is incredible to see how many different species of plants, animals, birds, and insects survive here.

After a week it was hard to say goodbye to everybody but it was time for the next leg of my journey. Ian and Tanya where going to Mombasa so they could drop me of in Maungu, where I would be staying with Mama Mercy for one month.

Hippos in the Athi