Day 10

San Diego Travel Blog

First thing this morning we set out with an ambitious agenda. Number one on the list was the San Diego Zoo. We arrived as the park opened at 9am. This place was incredible. It is built into a canyon and the animals are so close at times it felt like they could reach out and claw you. I was less enthusiastic about visiting the zoo, considering all of the beautiful beaches and parks I could have been hanging out in, but when we were affronted by orangutans sexing it up right in front of us, my attitude quickly changed. Kids were leering in stupification, while parents were diligently rushing them through. Good times. At the wild animals show we were introduced to an emu that couldn't back up, a 16 year old bearcat, red river hog that supposedly loves to swim (altho the trainers had a hard time convincing the audience of this), a hawk that was released from its cage at the top of the ampitheatre and swooped down over the audience to the trainers glove (this was crazy close!), and the greatest sight... a cheetah and her best friend, Olaf, the golden retriever. When they brought the cheetah out they warned the audience to stay seated and make as few motions as possible because cheetahs are attracted to motion. So this unparented child makes the mistake of running up the stairs past me and this cheetah goes crazy! She is ready to eat this kid and the pregnant trainer looked a bit nervous holding her. Erica was nervous because the cat was totally eyeballing where we were due to the fact that the kid stopped right behind us. This wasn't the only time this happened during our visit either... at the puma exhibit, this child runs past Erica while she was trying to locate the cat and the thing jumps out of hiding and lunges toward her in an attempt to eat this unruly child. It was sweet! We also took the double decker bus tour of the zoo. After a quick gander in the polar bear exhibit (which holds over 150,000 gallons of water) we jumped on the skyfari. This ride is like a ski lift that takes you over the top of the zoo while providing you with fantastic views of the city. By the time we left the zoo it was 3pm, we were so tired and it was so late that we put a botch on Sea World. Once we acquired a little rest and at the hotel, we headed over to Old Town for some dinner. We ate at the Cafe Pacifico and it was fantastic! We were completely under-dressed, but were so early that the place was empty. We had clam chowder, chipotle pesto sea bass, crusted salmon, and the biggest asparagus i have ever seen in my life. The food was amazing, we highly recommend this place. I also enjoyed an Arrogant Bastard Ale; I don't know what I liked more, the name of the beer or the beer itself. Most of Old Town was closing when we were roaming the streets but we did manage to purchase some dark chocolate honeycomb and milk chocolate caramels at a tiny candy shop. The biggest disappointment of the night was that the root beer shop was closed when we finally got back around to it. I guess we cant have it all.
San Diego