Bridge Walk

Sydney Travel Blog

From Milsons Point to The Rocks, a walk across Sydney Harbour Bridge is a must-do for anyone visiting Sydney.  I have spent years in Sydney (I was even born there), and have driven across the iconic bridge hundreds of times, so it was a real highlight to finally take the time to walk across the Bridge.

The walk is free and you can take as long, or as quick, as you want.   We strolled across stopping constantly to take photos of the spectacular harbour and Opera House below.  Even at an easy pace, the walk took only 40 minutes.

I would recommend walking across the Bridge rather than the, much publicized and very expensive, Bridge Climb. The Bridge Climb costs over $200 and you cannot take any of your own photos (instead you have to purchase the one photo that the Bridge Climb company sells you).

The view is virtually the same.

My partner and I found it exhilerating and romantic and we stopped for a kiss right at the halfway point across the Bridge.  There is plenty of activity which makes the whole experience entertaining.  We watched the heavy boat, yacht and ferry traffic below, felt the bridge shake from passing trains and cars.  We 0verlooked Kirribili on the north shore and then the Botanic Gardens on the south shore.  As it was Saturday late afternoon/early evening we saw at least a dozen wedding parties having their photos taken on the lawns below.

The Bridge walk finishes at The Rocks.. another iconic Sydney landmark and then round to Circular Quay and the Opera House.  We spent the rest of the evening exploring the Rocks area.  The evening was capped off with a magnificent full moon rising over the Opera House.  It was one of the most perfect nights I have experienced in Sydney.

gimpel says:
Nice story, great info.Tanks.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2010
Dr_Seuss says:
$200 to climb it :O .I'm with you on the free walk :D
Posted on: Mar 08, 2010
The evening ended with a full moon…
The evening ended with a full moo…