Last Day In Germany

Cologne Travel Blog

Cathedral (as seen from train station)

It was time to move again. After getting ready and packing out, I headed to the train station, where I would have a little difficulty with the ticket machine. It was not accepting my credit card, so I had to pay cash. I hopped on the S-Bahn, and headed to the Munich airport.

I got there, and checked in at the airport, with Air Berlin. But this was not the end of the trip. Just unusual to head back to the airport that I arrived in, and not return home. At least to me anyway. Instead, I will be flying to Cologne. I chose this option since this and taking the train would cost about the same, so it came down to saving time. I waited at the gate, until it was time to board.

I got on the plane, which then, took me to Cologne.

Cologne Cathedral
A short flight, which was not full, and getting there in an hour. Then I had to take a train to the main train station, where I would store my backpack in some kind of automatic locker. I received a card, which I'll need to retrieve it later on. Never saw anything like it.

I stepped out of the train station, and there it was, Koln Cathedral. By the way, Koln is the German name for Cologne, and I may use the 2 interchangeably. Anyway, the cathedral was the main reason for my visit. Depending how long it took, I would either spend the night there, or just move on to Amsterdam. Just have to see how things turn out.

Looking at the Cathedral, it was so big. I looked around the exterior, then went inside of it. It was cold outside, and it was cold inside as well. It did surprise me that the cathedral was not heated.
me in front of cathedral
I sat down, and looked at the stained glass windows, and see how huge this place was. Then toured around the cathedral, starting with the crucifix at one of the chapels. Then went to see the other various features along the way, which I talked about in the review here.

After walking around the inside, I went outside. Looked around for a bit, looking at the doors. Then decided to climb the Church Spire. I don't know why, but I felt like I had to do it. Never easy, and the winding, twisting stairs made it tougher, with one side being more narrow than the other, which is an issue when the 2 ways of traffic have to pass each other. Hard for me to describe. Along the way, I stopped to see the huge church bell, along with small bells.
view of Koln
I can't imagine how loud it be, if it rung while in the room. There was a point where I thought I was done, with the stairway ending. But there was a separate stairway, so more climbing. So a bit of a tease there.

I reached the top, for views of the city and the Rhine. But it was not as good as it should be. Why is that? More about that in the same review, which I put a link to, earlier. After looking around, I went back down, which was not as tiring. Then I went to have some lunch at a McDonald's. After eating, then toured the city.

I would pass by a museum, and walk along the Rhine River. There was the market square, and Fishmarkt with the picturesque houses, giving the area that historic feel. I passed by City Hall, which was under construction. An okay walking tour, which I was following from a guidebook, but not really memorable. I would have wanted to visit the Chocolate Museum, but being that it was Monday, it was closed. Cologne was an enjoyable city to see, but I was satisfied with my visit.

I headed back to the train station, and picked up my things. I bought the ticket, and caught the next train out, as I chose not to spend the night in Cologne. So I left Germany, getting a chance to visit this year in 2010, after not getting to in 2009, when I planned to go to 5 different places. This trip, I would get to visit 3 of them, so I kind of made up for that.

Next part of the trip was the Netherlands, which is in the next blog!

alyssa_ob says:
I have only seen the cathedral as my train passed through from Amsterdam. I have heard is is gorgeous!
Posted on: Mar 29, 2010
Cathedral (as seen from train stat…
Cathedral (as seen from train sta…
fountain
cathedral door
view of Cologne
view of Cologne
view of Koln
equestrian statue of Kaiser Wilhel…
equestrian statue of Kaiser Wilhe…
Rhine River
narrow street
narrow street
Cologne Sights & Attractions review
Very much worth going
Located right by the train station, the Cologne Cathedral is a huge Gothic church, that towers really high. It is the first thing to notice when exiti… read entire review
Cologne