Arrived in Munich!

Munich Travel Blog

archway to pedestrian street

I was hoping I had enough sleep, as the plane was approaching Munich. Never easy to sleep on the plane. I had to contain my excitement until I was actually in the city center. Once the plane landed, I exited the plane, and felt the cold air. I figure it would be as cold as back home, if not colder. Once I had my passport stamped, I was in Germany, and overcame that obstacle. The trip was officially on.

I went to the S-Bahn, and had difficulty figuring out the ticket machine. At first, I thought it was for regular rail, so I went down to the platform, thinking a ticket machine for the S-Bahn was there. But it wasn't, so I went back up and got a ticket to Central Station. I hopped on it, and rode it to Central Station, which took 40 minutes. I had to get the ticket validated, or else get fined 40 euros.

Marienplatz

When I reached the stop, I had to figure out where I was, and tried to find it on the map, as I was looking for the hostel. A local came and offered help, even though he was on his cell phone. He showed me where to go, and I found where I needed to go. I got to the 4 Munchen Youth Hostel, and checked in, but with the room not ready, I put my backpack in storage, and went out to see the city. More about the hostel in the review here.

I walked and went through an arch gate, which was the entrance to the pedestrian zone. I reached the square of Munich, called Marienplatz, with buildings that give that historic feel. Most of them were buildings of the Old Town, that were rebuilt after the city was flattened during World War II.

The New Town Hall was the main building, with its glockenspiel, the little show that happens during certain hours.
glockenspiel
In this case, I am waiting for noon, so until then, I passed by the Old Town Hall and Viktualienmarkt, the open-air market.

Noon rolled around, and I had to wait a little longer for the show to start. And then, the show started. After it ended, I went to the top of the tower, for views of Munich. Seeing the Old Town, it almost seems too good to be true, like a theme park. But it was freezing cold, and sometimes I had to go inside to warm up a little, before going back out. More about the New Town Hall and its attractions in the review here.

Afterwards, I would stop by the Residenz Museum, which was the palace of the Wittelsbachs, the royal family of Bavaria. I toured around the place, then went to the Treasury, which has the royal family jewels and crowns.
Old Town Hall
More about that in the review here.

I also visit St. Peter's Church, the oldest in town. I sat down for a bit, as my feet were hurting from a lot of standing and walking around. Also looked around, at the organ and chapels throughout the place, along the ceiling frescos of Peter being crucified upside-down.

I made a stop by St. Michael's Church, but by then, I was really starting to feel the effects of jet lag. I'm surprised it took this long to catch up to me, but I guess the cold weather may have something to do with it. I went back to the hostel, and rested for a while.

Afterwards, I went to a beer hall called Hofbrauhaus. Somehow, I was able to find it without a map. I don't know how. When entering the place, I'm not sure how it was suppose to work.
view of Munich
Do I just pick any table? I went up to the 2nd floor, and saw that there was a buffet, along with a performance by a German band. A lot of tourists there, and again, not sure if I just seat myself and start eating. I was looking for someone to pay, but could not find them.

I went to eat at a Chinese restaurant, and assumed water was free. As it turned out, it was not free, and I was charged almost 2 euros. The chicken curry was great, but I hated the idea of paying for water. I returned to the hostel, and just very happy that this trip was actually happening. And it was only the beginning.

WalterC says:
And how about the Chinese people? Since this did take place in a Chinese restaurant!
Posted on: Jan 18, 2016
FK27 says:
There is a cultural difference. Germans are willing to pay for drinks, but neither for bread nor rice. French people are willing to pay the rice separately. Paid drinks are a financial compensation for cheap food, and everybody with a sense of economics knows that.
Posted on: Jan 03, 2016
WalterC says:
Someday, I will have to visit the Christmas markets there!
Posted on: Dec 11, 2015
Court Chapel - Residenz
Treasury in Residenz
Treasury in Residenz
inside St. Peter's Church
fresco on ceiling of St. Peters C…
fresco on ceiling of St. Peter's …
St. Peters Church - organ
Hofbrauhaus
Hofbrauhaus - band
Hofbrauhaus - band
Munich Sights & Attractions review
Review for glockenspiel and top of tower
Located on the Marienplatz in Munich, the New Town Hall is a place that cannot be missed, being one of (if not) the largest building in the Old Town a… read entire review
Munich Hostels review
Good place to stay
Not easy to find, at least not for me. A block away from the train station, on a small street. And about a 15 to 20 minute walk from Marienplatz, or a… read entire review
Munich Sights & Attractions review
Definitely worth visiting
The Residenz (“Munich Residence” in English) is the royal palace of the Wittelbachs, who are the royal family of Bavaria. It dates back to 1385, a… read entire review
Munich