Sunny day in the city

Prague Travel Blog

We woke up very early very excited as today we were visiting the Prague Castle! We dressed up with our warmest clothes, as we already knew how cold it could get at this time of the year in Prague! After breakfast we headed to the castle, which was only 10 minutes away from the hotel. On our way we stopped in a couple of sightseeing points and we took several photos.

According the World Guinness records, it is the largest old castle! It is 570 meters long and 128 meters wide. It has the size of 7 soccer (not sure) fields! It was founded in the IX Century and became the residence for the royal family. Inside the castle walls you find the Prague Cathedral, Saint George’s Convent, Saint George Basilica, the Royal Palace and some art galleries spread all around.

Once we took millions of photos of the area, we walked towards the gardens in Malastrana heading the Petrin Tower and the next to Kampa Island! We wanted to visit as many places as possible, as we heard next day was snowing. Right on the way to Charles Bridge, we came across a Spanish Restaurant, so we decided to grab something to eat. It was soo good that we spend almost a couple of hours to continue our visit! I am attaching a review.

There are 18 bridges in Prague, and Charles Bridge is the oldest of all. Its construction started on 1357 on top of Judith’s Bridge by Carlos IV supervision and was finalized in the beginning of the XV Century. At the time it was the only way to communicate the Old Town and the castle, so it turned into one of the busiest areas in the city.
It is 516 meters long and 10 meters wide, and all along the bridge you find 30 statues commemorating several Saints. People say that at night, when everyone is sleeping, they argue about religion! ☺ 3 towers, 2 in Malastrana and one at the Old Town side protected Charles Bridge. There is one statue commemorating Saint John, and they say that if you touch it, your desire will come true.

Before coming some people told me it was too touristic, but I do not agree. As we walked along we found beautiful picturesque streets, lots of Gothic and Barroc constructions, an intense cultural and artistic life, concerts happening in many churches, restaurants all over the place, shops, coffee places… woaw, that was overwhelming!

Between the Old Square and the Powder Tower there is a street named Celetná where you find tons of souvenirs stores, but what really got our attention was a chocolate store! We went in and we bought some fruits covered with melted chocolate! Mmmmm that was delicious!! With our happy stomachs we kept walking until we reached the Powder Tower and then turned to Na Prikope.
It is a beautiful pedestrian street with tons of huge stores! And as we were walking we heard quite loud music! When we reached Vaclavske nam we found many people listening to a rock band for free!!! We were in a live concert right on Prague! If you keep walking along Vaclavske nam, you end up at the National Museum. Although it is not being promoted at all by the Tourism Information Points, I found it quite fascinating…

From there we walked until the Dancing Houses. I saw many photos from other travbuddies, so we decided we had to see them! You find them at Rasinovo Nabrezi, right next to the river Moldova. ING wanted to build an emblematic building for its firm, so with unlimited funds, they hired Frank Ghery to design it. Its construction began in 1994 and it finalized two years later.
The building is also called “Fred and Ginger” or the “Drunk House” ☺

We were quite far away from our hotel, so we decided to take the bus. Next to the Dancing Houses we found a bus stop and we took the first bus we saw. There were two wagons, and the driver was not there. We had no idea where to get the tickets, so a friendly local woman heard us and told us nobody really buys tickets at night. She was heading to the castle too, so we followed her around. We changed buses a couple of times ☺

Very close to our hotel, and right next to Charles Bridge, we found a beautiful restaurant called Kampapark…. We had dinner there… read my review!!!!

By the way, did you know that Prague means “door”?
Prague Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Romantic restaurant next to Charles Bridge
Expensive place but very happy with every penny spent! I was with my girlfriend and my mother. They had two eggplant salads and I had a lobster! We al… read entire review
Prague Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Best Spanish food in Prague
If you enjoy Spanish food you cannot miss this place. I have tried several Spanish restaurants abroad, and none of them were as good as this one! The … read entire review
photo by: vulindlela