A Long Drive

Winthrop Travel Blog

The one and only time I visited Winthrop, WA, was when someone I met through the Thrifty Nickle was wooing me and too me there for a Saturday drive in the fall of 1996. It was before the pass on WA-20 was closed, so it was only 195 miles or so...about a four hour drive. Being March, Steven's pass is closed, so when I drove today...by myself, I might add...I had to go the long way around through the Snoqualmie pass, adding an extra 50 miles and an additional hour to the trip. I didn't mind, though...the weather was gorgeous and the drive was breath-taking. On this side of the Cascades, everything is green with lots of pine trees. On the other side, the topography and vegetation is much like southern California with bare mountains and sage brush. I had never taken this route before, so it was interesting to see the bare fruit trees.
There were even warning signs for big horn sheep...sure wish I would have seen one of those! I snapped several pictures along the way and arrived at the Winthrop Inn around 5pm. About a quart of a mile before the inn, there was a huge herd of deer very close to the road.

After unloading my gear in my room, I headed into the middle of town to get some food. The manager at the inn recommended Three Fingered Jack's, which boasts as being the oldest "legal" saloon in Washington state (see my review).

I no sooner got back to my room and my mom called on the cell. For a very tiny "frontier" town, Winthrop has decent cell coverage. The inn even has wireless internet, hence my ability to post this.

I'll probably call it an early night tonight since I plan to get up around 6am. I need to scout a location and set up my camera equipment to get the best photos of the balloon launch, which is at 7am (or there abouts).
Winthrop Hotels & Accommodations review
A Room at the Inn
The Winthrop Inn is reasonably priced. I paid $188 for two nights that had a queen-sized bed, cable TV, microwave, fridge, and a balcony. It also incl… read entire review
Winthrop Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Good Eats, Good Service & Good Prices
I had dinner at Jacks, which boasts that they are the oldest"legal" saloon in the state of Washington. I don't often see it on the menu, so I had gizz… read entire review
Winthrop