Special Deal, Just for You

Hong Kong Travel Blog

While in Hong Kong, we shopped at several markets, including the Jade Market, the Ladies Market, and Stanley Market.

We were one of the first shoppers at the jade market that morning, arriving just as it was opening.  I fell in love immediately.  I love market shopping, and more importantly, I love jade.  Not only it is my favorite color, but the stone is as well.  We jumped right in, browsing the corrals and haggling with the vendors.  The best part was, the sellers were very willing to make a deal.  The Chinese are very superstitious, so they were willing to negotiate, afraid to turn down their first customers (that would superstitiously determine the profit of the day).  I found incredible jade carvings, a dog -- my Chinese zodiac sign, and an elephant, which I collect; carved chopsticks with dragon tops, and a beautiful jade pendant, that really isn't the best quality, but I love it anyway.  (The stone is kind of cloudy, but you have to be really close to see that).  Also at the jade market, I found an amazing piece of amethyst that I knew I would be bringing home.  It took some effort, but the merchant and I finally agreed to a price.

The Ladies Market was my least favorite, but we went at the wrong time of day: mid-afternoon and it was hot, crowded, and fellow bargain hunters were not in the best of moods.  I didn't buy anything, but my sister bought several purses -- an obsession of hers (during this trip, she bought 17, yes, 17 purses.  She had to buy a bag in order to bring them all home).  We didn't spend much time here, thankfully.  As much as I enjoy shopping at markets, I DO NOT like crowds, despise them, in fact.

Our market shopping continued another day when we ventured over to Stanley Market, near Repulse Bay.  This was really fun.  We encountered a merchant, Billy, that we really hit it off with; he was so incredibly friendly and fun to be around.  In fact, we went back to his shop to spend some more time (and money).  And, I found some cloisonne that I couldn't pass up.  This merchant, a young girl, was ready to deal 'special deal, just for you'; she was a student, too.  Yeah, I believe special deal just for me; that is until the next person comes up.  And besides, I think I heard that several times over while shopping at the jade market.

Overall, we had a good shopping experience in Hong Kong.  We each found several bargains, and I am thrilled to death with some of my souvenirs; they are still some of my favorites from all my travels.