Kell Travel Blog

My aunt and uncle had been living in Hong Kong for about ten years, and I had dreamed about visiting since the day we got the fax (remember -- this was the mid-90s, no email) about their plans.  My uncle was an executive for a shoe company, hence the move.  They had lived in Taiwan and Uruguay years ago.

Summer 2004 would be the summer before my senior year of college.  And, knowing this (and the fact I couldn't afford the tuition for the Semester at Sea program), I impulsively announced I would be going to Hong Kong to visit.  I desperately wanted to travel somewhere; it had been a few years since my last trip.  And, the closer my uncle got to retirement age, I knew they wouldn't be in Hong Kong much longer.

As I talked more about going, my sister decided she wanted to go as well; she was graduating from high school, and had not traveled at all.  I searched and searched for affordable airfare.  American, Singapore Air (which I really wanted to fly) and Cathay Pacific (that my aunt recommended) were all running about $3600 for coach.  There was no way in the world that I could afford that.  Even though I didn't have to pay for hotel, and I knew my aunt would pay for our meals, I still had to have the cheapest airfare I could find (I was in college, working at a scrapbook store).  Somehow, though, United was $1200 for a ticket from St. Louis, connecting in Chicago, for a 14 1/2 hour flight to Hong Kong, so that's what I booked, going in late July.  (Just for the fun of it, I checked a first-class ticket... $11,000... in my dreams...)

photo by: ahtibat17